Photo

MegaScenery Missing many tiles ... (corrupted)

Idaho nevada oregon corrupted tiles

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 jlindblo

jlindblo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:11 AM

I'm a big fan of MegaScenery software but I'm totally unimpressed with their Support.  Or I should say ... "Non-Support" .  Finding access to Support is really difficult and getting a reply from them after you do is totally non-existent.  I have Arizona, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Washington, Oregon and Wyoming ... not as many as some, but enough for my flying.  I fly on 3 systems ... a Haswell, an i5 2500K and an older i7, all overclocked to 4.5 Ghz.  So with that out of the way here is my beef.  Some of the MegaSceneryEarth tiles are corrupted from the source .... not from CRC downloads ....  but corrupted at MegaScenery's site. If a tile is corrupted it does not install and you can verify this by going into Programs and checking the installed list.  If you don't do this then your only way of finding out is if by chance you fly over the corrupted area and see the ugly landscape. On my 1st purchase I had a corrupted tile and I was able to get ahold of a Megascenery engineer (I think) who was very polite and helpful and promised to fix on their end.  He did not, and after much screaming and hollering on my part (and threatening) they sent me the previously corrupted tile on a DVD by mail.  Ok ... all is well and forgiven.  So I proceeded with purchases ... and I love the effect and visual at altitude.  Then I found corruption in my Oregon purchase.  I would get a CTD on all 3 systems about 30 minutes out of LaGrande going to Bend, Or.  All my attempts to contact them were met with silence. Even my phone calls went unanswered.  So I wrote them off and stopped considering any further purchases.  Now ... a few days ago I found a missing tile in my Idaho scenery ... #32.  Ok .... I went back to my original email and downloaded #32 no less than a dozen times because each attempt to extract resulted in an error message indicating corruption. I could live with this if MegaSceneryEarth would just say ... "Ok, thanks for letting us know.  We will fix that within 48 hours".  But instead they just ignore me like ... "Who cares??"   So, unless they get their act together I will never make another purchase from MegaSceneryEarth.

UPDATE Sept 15th, 2014

This problem with Oregon MegaSceneryEarth is now solved.  Dean, PC Aaviator Manager,  sent me a complete DVD disc set of Oregon which I promptly reinstalled and which fixed the Fatal Error I kept getting between Bend and Eugene.  Much appreciated Dean of your working with me to make sure I had a smooth experience with MegaSceneryEarth.  And happy flying of course .......

Jim 

#2 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

Hi there,

This is interesting. Can you send a screenshot of the "corrupt" tiles along with the LAT/LON co-ordinates? I'd like to double-check those. We have not had any problems along these lines with other customers that I know of. Sure, some customers have missing tiles, but this is usually a result of missing running one of the installers, something which the introduction of the MSE install manager has since solved.

Please post here the LAT/LON co-ords of the affected areas and I will check it out for you.

Also, if you can let me know exactly which zip files you are downloading that are supposedly corrupted, I will redownload those too myself and check for you :)

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

#3 jlindblo

jlindblo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:30 PM

Thanks Dean ..... I really appreciate your response and I will try to recreate the problem on my running systems.  I borked my "daily"  i5 2500K system by trying to analyze and fix the problem by changing settings (sometimes in flight)  but I think I may have saved some screenshots.  It's been awhile since I had all the frustration but I'll go back and test as time permits.  My latest missing tile that I cannot download with errors is the Idaho # 32.  I see by checking in Programs that I am also missing #19 in Washington but can't remember if I tried re-downloading that one but you might check it also.  

Thanks again .....

Jim

#4 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:35 PM

Jim,

Ok no problem. I will check Idaho #32 when i am in the office and will re-download from the server and see if there are any problems. Get me the other problem files when you have a chance and I will look at those as well.

Dean

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#5 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

Downloading Idaho file #32 now and will advise of any issues.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#6 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

Idaho File #32 downloaded just fine here in about 15 Minutes. Unzipped ok and the installer ran through without any issues.

The file on the server is good for this one.

You might wish to try redownloading on your end after removing any traces of the file part-downloaded or sitting in your downloads folder. As far as this file is concerned, the server has a valid and working copy.

What other ones do you wish me to check?

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#7 jlindblo

jlindblo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:48 AM

Thanks Dean,  I will download Idaho #32 and see if it will extract correctly and report back to you.  I appreciate.

I have rebuilt my i5 2500K / Radeon HD 6850 graphics / Crucial M500 ssd running Windows7 and reloaded MegaSceneryEarth Oregon and can verify that it consistently gives me a CTD on every flight from Bend, Or to Eugene, Or.  Here is the screenshot:

i52500KCTDOregon_zps8b4b219e.jpg?t=14057

To verify that it isn't just that system I did the same flight using a different system ... my Haswell i5 4670 / GeForce GTX 760 and get the same lockup and CTD. It

locked up as you see it with the typical "Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working" (which did not screen/prt.    Image below:

i54670Win7OregonCTDBendtoEugene_zpseb4e0

Ok ....  I have another older System that works well so I ran the same exact flight using MegaSceneryEarth Oregon software ...  yes ...  locks up there to.  CTD .. solid.

Now in this Screen/Print I was able to get the exact coordinates so hopefully that will help:

Vistai7920OregonCTD_zps0611d18f.jpg?t=14

Further information that might be helpful is that Oregon files 43 through 47 give a warning that says   "Publisher could not be verified"  I clicked on continue and those 

5 tiles loaded ok (according to Programs in the Control Panel)

Another tile I am missing is Washington #19 .... it may be bad ... or it may not.  I will have to find the original email to get to it.

Dean .... I hope this information is helpful.  I do know that I cannot fly Oregon without the fear of a lockup at some point ... and in Multiplayer it's kind of a hassle.

Jim

#8 jlindblo

jlindblo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

Dean ....  a little more clarification.  The second picture above with the red Staggerwing is the approx moment of CTD being played back by Fraps because all I got that time was the familiar MS message that FSX had stopped working and there was nothing to show but a total black screen.  However ... since I had Fraps running I could play it back to the point of lockup.

Today I tried something different.  After I got to altitude (about 9K') I switch to "Top Down View" so I could monitor the red crosshairs tracking across the landscape. The  picture you see below is the instant of CTD with MegaSceneryEarth Oregon in play.  Nothing looks whacked on the texture but I cannot fly this flight plan without a lockup on my 3 systems.  Maybe someone can try it on their systems .... but if I can fly anyplace else without a lockup it does point to a fault in the scenery I would think. This is on a brand new FSX install ... and I only have a couple of Carenado plane that I fly.  This flight was the Skymaster.  Also ... no Events happen at the time of lockup.   Anyway .... here is the scrn capture taken an hour ago:

OregonCTDJuly19th_zps2d56b837.jpg

#9 jlindblo

jlindblo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

Dean ...

I can now verify that the MegaSceneryEarth Oregon #32 as well as MegaSceneryEarth Washington #19 are both corrupt after I have downloaded multiple times. Thinking it might be WinRar I uninstalled it from my Win7 system and used the default Win7 extractor.  Still corrupt.  Next I copied over to an XP system and tried to extract there ...  just stops responding.  Ok .... downloaded the latest WinZip (Trial for 30 days) and tried it.  Same thing ... CRC Error on both MegaScenery files.

CRC_zps4febf0ef.png

#10 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:34 PM

Ok I'll check those files out and redownload at the office and see if the server copies are bad, or if you are just getting bad downloads. As for the crashes, its very unusual for MSE to cause these. It is simple texture replacements which don;t often cause issues, but I will check it out on my system anyway. Do you have any other scenery for that region loaded, like FTX or similar? Thanks for the detailed summary too, it will help. 

Did you get a detailed error log of the crash at all?

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#11 jlindblo

jlindblo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:07 AM

Negative on the error log in MS Events.  Nothing shows.  My i5 2500K rebuild has no additional scenery software other than MegaSceneryEarth and ORBX.  I thought the messages indicating "Publisher cannot be identified" from the Oregon tiles (from file 43 through 47) might be telling me something .... since the downloading the 1st 43 went without user intervention.  In some way ... they are different.  As far as the CRCs go I was thinking if you had some sort of recommendation for a "Download Manager" that could reliably check the integrity of the downloads as they progressed (rather then wait until they were extracted) that might be helpful.  Years ago I had used one with XP that worked well but it was kind of a hassle.  I have not seen one mentioned or advertised for several years now. 

#12 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:13 AM

Downloading those other files mentioned you had problems with. Will let you know if I have any issues.

Re the crash, I just tested this at home flying over and around the area identified. I had no problems myself. Flew around the area and over that spot a few different times for about 20 minutes or so, No crashes. Not really sure what the issue is there. Which FTX scenery packs do you have?

Re an app to check file integrity while downloading, I don't know of any I am afraid. i didnt even know any existed at all. I know you can check files after they have completed downloaded with certain apps, but I don;t know of any that will check while it is downloading.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#13 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

Jim,

Ok just download both the Oregon #32 file and the Washington #19 file from the server again (just via Chrome browser this time). Both extract fine and install fine without problems. Both these files on the server are good too. The only thing I could guess is happening is that you are getting some kind of internet interference on your connection during the transfer that is causing the downloaded files to be corrupted. This can be an issue if you are on ADSL style connections, as they are subject more to "line noise" issues. 

If the same files are continually corrupt when downloading them, perhaps there is something, or part of the file still lurking in your system from previous attempts, and the newly downloaded files (for whatever reason) are not actually being saved? 

My suggestions would be this:

1. If you are trying to download direct through your browser, try downloading with the a different browser as this will likely store the downloaded files in a different hard disk location.

2. If no other browser available, try saving the file not to the normal default "Downloads" section your broser uses, but try a "Save As" command and point it to a different folder.

3. Download a download manager app like Download Accelerator Plus (DAP). This is one I use. There is a free version you can use (but you have to be extremely careful not to install all the other bloatware if wants to add to your system with the free version.... Read every installer screen carefully and choose the right option to avoid the bloatware) and you should then have a fairly clean DAP software to use, for free too. It doesn't allow you access to the fastest "download acceleration" option, but the next level down is still faster than my cable connection can deliver anyway. Try that as DAP splits large files into smaller chunks, downloads those and then re-assembles them when done. Just another thing to try if you keep getting corrupted downloads. The actual server files are working fine.

See how you go with those suggestions Jim and let us know.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#14 jlindblo

jlindblo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

Thanks Dean, I'm positive that you are right  ....  this afternoon I started researching for "download managers" and found a free one called "FLASHGET"  which solved the problem of my getting corrupt downloads, although I still had to download Washington twice. And it's easy to use ... just drag and drop. And I think I was wrong about CRC checking on the fly because I got an extraction error after the 1st download, but all worked proper with the second download.  I guess what really threw me was it was just a few files and the rest were fine. The Idaho file downloaded and extracted on the 1st attempt, so all is well. Amazing that something so frustrating could be so simple.

As for getting CTDs in the Oregon area I have not yet figured out how that's even possible.  At this point I don't think it's even possible that it could be a MegaSceneryEarth Oregon map fault ...  but ... that seemed to be at the time, the only item that was common to all 3 systems.  I think my next tests will be to start unchecking all the scenery areas and see if one of those could be at fault.  If not ... it must be that the Bermuda Triangle has moved up from the gulf!!  Anyway ... with enough testing something will show up ... and I will learn something on the way!  If something shows up .... I will be back to report it here!

I really appreciate your involvement .... Having been in the service business for 40 years I know how difficult it is to fix something when you can't get "hands on".

So with my newfound download success,  I went out and bought an Orbx city to plant in Washington!  

Happy Flying

Jim 

#15 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:29 PM

Jim,

Ok great to hear you have had success downloading the file. 

As for the error in Oregon... I have no idea. The only thing you can do is disable other scenery for that area one by one, but even then, some scenery expansions are not fully disabled by this method and could have an effect. That will be a tough one to figure out I suspect, but I am fairly confident it is not MSE causing the issue in this case.

• jlindblo likes this

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#16 jlindblo

jlindblo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

Hi Dean .....   still working on Oregon.   Guess I am persistent and don't give up easily because I really enjoy FSX.   I did some extensive testing yesterday and today trying to get inside the process to figure this one out with the premise being that of all my scenery and of all my flights I only have CTDs in this one area (so far) with MegaSceneryEarth Oregon. This happens with 3 different high performance systems that have different video cards and different cpus.  So to begin I started a flight plan from Bend, Oregon to Eugene, Oregon and climbed to 10,000' and about 10 miles from the affected area did a "Save Flight" to cut off the loading time for each succeeding test. Then I can load from the same starting point on each test which is about 10 miles from failure.   I started MegaSceneryEarth Oregon and ORBX modules running and, ....   and as expected got a CTD at the same area.   I then reversed the flight path (Eugene, Oregon to Bend, Oregon and got the same lockup at about the same distance from the mountains ..   that is, there seems to be a radius around those peaks that I cannot get passed. I checked the Event logs and nothing really solid.   I get the common MSVCR80.dll and ID error 1000 getting the most hits which points to "terrain.dll" .... well yeah, ok, that sounds logical at least but how do you fix it??   Then I disabled the Firewall ... no help there.   Then I flew two successive flights with MegaSceneryEarth Oregon unchecked (default MS scenery) and no crashes. To verify it's just in this area and not time related I did a flight plan from Havre, Montana to Grangeville, Idaho which is about 2 hours, with MegaSceneryEarth Montana and Idaho active.   I climbed to 10,000', set it on autopilot and came back 2 hours later to find my plane circling the destination airport at 10K', so all is well there.   I then went back to Bend and lowered all the graphics settings to "Medium Low" and gave it a shot ... still CTDs.   Ok ... I then started in the Scenery Library and step by step unchecked everything down to 1107 Base with the exception of “Global xxx” and “Propeller Objects” and flew Bend to Eugene … still locks up, same place. I then did a system Search for OR*.bgl and saw that I had an Oregon sub folder under the original Oregon folder. The sub-folder contained the Oregon bgl files that came from re-download files 42 – 47 that failed extraction with the installer. Ok … I re-downloaded those, extracted and installed and fired up FSX. No go … crashes. Then I individually un-installed ALL 47 Oregon tiles and then re-installed from storage on my network which had to be installed with me at the computer because files across my network have to be approved. At the conclusion of that I found that MegaSceneryOregon would not load and only the default Microsoft scenery would load. Bummer! Ok … copied across the network all the 47 Oregon files to a second drive on the computer so I could re-install un-attended. Tried that but the installer hangs on file #42 again and I have to approve the next 3 (as I remember) before they would install. Rebooted (which I always do) and now Oregon scenery is showing. Tried my flight from Bend, Oregon to Eugene and …. yep, crashes again. I checked the Event Viewer and the following below  is the log at crash time:

In my mind it does not seem that a user like myself can fix it ... especially in my case since it happens on 3 separate systems.  

Jim

FinalOregontestandconclusion_zpsc8a636fc

#17 jlindblo

jlindblo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:12 AM

Ok ..... my final conclusion is that there is something wrong with MegaSceneryEarth Oregon files #42 through #47 because I always get the warning when I try to install those five saying they don't have a valid signature (or some similar warning) and the pop-up window asks "do I want to go ahead and install them anyway" .. which I do and they install fine. To verify the integrity of MegaSceneryEarth Oregon software I did an install of that scenery on an old 2 Core (Q6600) XP system that had FSX on it and always ran fine.  Setup the Bend, Oregon flight to Eugene, Oregon and sure enough .... I get a CTD Fatal Error at the same location.  My suspicions are that the bgl files in that are are flawed and causing the crash. I don't see any other way around it .....  

Jim

#18 jlindblo

jlindblo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:22 AM

Dean .....   My final test was to purchase FTX/ORBX's NA Pacific Coast, install and fly from Eugene, Oregon to Bend, Oregon.  No CTDs ....  runs perfect and does not crash but of course does not look as nice at high altitude as MegaSceneryEarth Oregon.  Which as a user, to me, is conclusive proof that MegaSceneryEarth Oregon has a serious flaw and should be removed from the market until it's fixed.  But it's your call ...........

#19 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

Jim,

Ok thanks for your further testing. What has me concerned is that those files #42 to #47 are giving you errors on installation. Are you able to send me a screenshot of that window with the error details that pops up? That will help. It could possibly be the case of bad or incomplete downloads again on those files as I don't get those warnings when I try and install. It may be a different version of Windows in use or different Windows settings etc but send me over a screenshot via reply to this thread and that will tell us more. 

Why I am insisting that it might not be MSE causing the problem (in general that is) is because we have not had any other reports from other users with this similar problem in that area. Of course, it is possible that no other MSE users have flown over that particular area before, but we have sold a lot of Oregon sceneries...

Of course, we can also put the call out here and now to any other forum members who have MSE Oregon installed and ask them nicely to test fly that area and see if they have any issues as well.

Have you got the bandwidth to redownload Oregon 42 - 47 files? That could be something you should try immediately as well as another possible solution.

I am sure we will get it sorted one way or another.

Note that error posted above lists the Faulting Module as MSVCR80.dll which appears to be somehow related to Visual C++ app. You might also like to search Google on this error. There is a lot of potential fixes for that. I don't know why that would be coming up with MSE to be honest, unless it had something to do with the MSE installers playing up due to a bad download... Again, if you can redownload 42-47 that would be the first thing I would try if I had that issue.

Dean

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#20 jlindblo

jlindblo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

Dean ....  Yes, I had already re-downloaded and installed #42 through #47.  As I have said, even if I get the warning window on #42 it still is no problem to just continue and the file installs as normal.  If you do an unattended install and come back an hour later the install is waiting for user input to give permission to go ahead.  Here are screenshots from the last test ... the 1st screenshot (file #42) says "Unknown Publisher" and the second screenshot (file # 41) never asks.  So up to 41 we're good to go ... after that, approve each one.   

Notaverifiedsignature_zpsc5c6c93e.jpg

Here is file # 41 .... install just fine.

Verifiedsignature_zpsae268790.jpg

What's really maddening is that it ONLY does a CTD between Bend, Oregon to Eugene, Or ....  just before going between the peaks (see previous screenshots)

If I use ORBX's Pacific/Northwest which covers that area there is no problem .... If I Use Microsoft's default Oregon scenery there is no problem .... If I use MegaSceneryEarth Oregon's software I ALWAY every time get a Fatal Error.  There must be some interaction with the bgl files in that area .... it seems ... but I really don't have a clue .... AND ... I have 4 systems that ALL exhibit the same Fatal Error with MegaSceneryEarth Oregon  ... two are Windows7, one is Vista, and one is XP. 

Anyway .... hope you can make some sense of all that.

Jim

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Idaho, nevada, oregon, corrupted tiles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users