m0dpsych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:44 PM

Hi All,

I have a rather interesting problem regarding flight planning. I want to do a flight from Brisbane to New Zealand (or vice versa) but want the flight to go via Antarctica, so want it to be a non-stop flight. When I do a plan in FSX it only lists, apart from the departure/destination airport one waypoint called WP1. How would I go about finding what waypoints I can put in or is there another flight planning programme I can use that maybe easier?. I intend on using either the JF 747 or DC10 as my aircraft. Hope it all makes sense.

Cheers

Gary

I'm from the Government and I'm here to help!!!!

#2 CaptAus

CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:20 PM

Hi Gary

Here's a way you can do it using the FSX flight planner.  Initially set up a high altitude flight plan direct flight from, say, Brisbane Intl (YBBN) to, say Wellington, NZ (NZWN).  Then click on Find Route to go to the map page of the flight planner.  You will note the red flight path red line is direct YBBN to NZWN.  If you click on NavLog at this stage, you will see the flight plan is YBBN>POODL>SCOTT>CHEWY>LHI NDB (272.0) and beyond.

You can click and drag the red line to any place you like.  So, after LHI click and drag the red line down to a desired point on the Antarctic continent.  That will be WP1.  Notice that two waypoints still exists in the Tasman Sea.  Delete these waypoints.  You now have a direct track from Antarctica to Wellington.  By clicking and dragging the red line to a number of likely waypoints (usually VORs) you can create a navigable flight path to Wellington.  Make sure you enter your cruising height into the flight plan editor.

Your flight plan will look something like YBBN>POODL>SCOTT>CHEWY>LHI NDB (272.0)> Antarctica (WP1)>WP2 (Campbell Island)>Invercargill VOR (NV 116.8)>Timaru VOR (TU 115.90)>Christchurch VOR (CH 115.30)>Tory VOR (TR 114.60)>BAXOV>NZWN.  Save the flight plan and print your NavLog.

One thing to note however, for some reason - and others may know how to overcome this - the next time you open this saved flight plan it reverts back to a direct YBBN>NZWN.  Annoying.

Hope that helps.

Greg (CaptAus)

Intel Core i7 2600K OC 5.8GHz, Quad core, 8GB RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, SATA III, Windows 7 64bit, 2 x 22" monitors.

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
Aussie Star Flight Simulation
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#3 m0dpsych

m0dpsych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:08 PM

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your assistance with my query. I followed the instructions above (which were easy to follow) but in the Antarctica region it has only given me waypoint 1, 2,3 and 4. I do have a copy of a real flight plan (unfortunately the ill-fated ANZ DC10 flight) and was wanting to use some of that plan but have no idea how to read it. I know that I can edit the waypoints 1, 2 etc but not being able to understand the plan makes it difficult. I will keep plodding along and see how I go.

G

I'm from the Government and I'm here to help!!!!

#4 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:07 PM

Yes the click and drag on the route line is the way to go. I think you can turn on and off the waypoints you see in the map. Obviously, if no waypoints are available for the area you want to fly, then I think it just gives you GPS Co-ords for wherever you drop the line. If you are flying the plan using GPS, the path to the waypoint will be shown on your GPS, so that is easy to find. If you are using some other type of navigation, it would need to have the capability of entering those GPS co-ords to give you a bearing to that point. Not sure how you could do it otherwise for the Antarctica region. Over land where a lot of VORs or NDB exists, you could pinpoint a location via triangulation with pretty accurate results, but you need to be within range of at least 2 navaids to get a good fix.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users