3 replies to this topic

#1 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:20 PM

In Making up for it in the Middle East in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X segment of the Forum, I mentioned the difficulty I was having in trying to install FS Group's Orumiyeh Airport.

I have now been able to install it.

I made a further attempt the same day as my exchange of emails with the developer but was unsuccessful.

I decided to give up at that stage. 

However, some days later my youngest son (whose knowledge of computers is far greater than mine) was visiting us and he offered to try to install it. 

He could find no trace of the airport having been installed on any of my ten previous attempts. All that I had to show for those attempts were the four page pdf manual.

He tried installing it. My flight sim is in my E Drive and my add-on airports go to E:\Mircrosoft Flight Simulator X\addon scenery. He chose that path at the installation choice stage and the result was the same lack of success as I had consistently experienced. The path was greyed out. He then decided to accept the default path offered of E:\APPDIR which the product installer was showing. The product installed to the E Drive but no trace of it could be found in any of the Microsoft FSX sub-folders or in the Scenery Library when I started FSX.  Why didn't it go there?

However, when I selected Orumiyeh in Airports in Free Flight, I got the FS Group product as the version of the airport (rather than any Default version, ie identical to the product screenshots) and was able to fly it.

How can an add-on airport appear nowhere in the FSX path files or in the Scenery Library but be there and operational when flying in FSX?

Gary

#2 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,644 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:25 AM

Gary,

The Scenery Layers in the scenery library each contain data, the primary data is the path to where the actual scenery is installed. So, you can install many scenery add-ons anywhere on your hard drives (there are a lot of exceptions to this rule however) as long as the Scenery Library layer entry for that scenery correctly pinpoints which folder the actual scenery files are contained in.

Please note, this does not work for some scenery addons. Add-ons like Orbx usually have to go into the FSX folders, but others like MegaSceneryEarth can pretty much go anywhere on any drive.

The Layer entry is like the phone book for the FSX system. It tells FSX where all the scenery files can be found, and in what folders.

Hope that helps?

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

#3 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:16 AM

Dean

Does that mean that, like the Iranian airport I am talking about, not all add-on scenery or airports find their way into the FSX Scenery Library and, thus, for example it is not possible to change the level of priority or to enable or disenable such an airport or scenery for particular occasions?

Gary

#4 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,644 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:37 AM

Gary,

A very few number of titles still require manual adding to the scenery library but 99%+ now will auto-add to the scenery library upon installation.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users