#1 CaptAus

CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:22 PM

I have this video on the Aussie Star Flight Simulation Google + Community and it's aptly called This is why we fly.  I watch it regularly and it gives me goose bumps every time.  Also on the g+ page there is a flight plan I've created which attempts to recreate the weather and the flight.  I'm sure it could be improved upon.

Enjoy

Greg

Intel Core i7 2600K OC 5.8GHz, Quad core, 8GB RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, SATA III, Windows 7 64bit, 2 x 22" monitors.

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
Aussie Star Flight Simulation
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#2 Gibbo

Gibbo

Forum Statistician

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:22 PM

Hi Greg,

That is an awesome clip...thanks. In our instruments we trust!!

Cheers,

Gibbo

"Too much flight simming is barely enough"

#3 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,642 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:06 PM

That is simply scary! Must have faith in technology to fly that approach.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

#4 glenfer

glenfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationLeeton, NSW Australia

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:07 PM

Hi Folks,

I had the link for this great clip sent to me some time back.  The info provided at that time was an Air New  Zealnd flight into Queenstown in New Zealand.

From info in the video clip and a check with Google Maps tends to support the notion the airport is Quuenstown.

Like others enjoy the clip.

Cheers

Glenn

#5 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,642 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:46 PM

Yep certainly looks like Queenstown.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

#6 CaptAus

CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:06 PM

Here is the attempted recreation of the 'This is why we fly' video into Queenstown to try in FSX.  If anyone can improve on it, especially the weather settings for the intensity of the low cloud, I would like to hear from you.

Place and time
Select airport: Dunedin, New Zealand NZDN
Season: Winter

Time: 0630 local time

Weather
Select User Defined Weather> Customise> Advanced weather
Cloud type stratus
Cloud coverage overcast (8/8)
Tops MSL 4000
Base MSL 2000

Flight plan
Taxi to and takeoff rwy 23
Climb to 7000 feet
Track ATHOL waypoint to on top, HDG 260
At ATHOL, turn right HDG 327 and track to AFTON waypoint
Descend to 6000 feet
At AFTON, turn right HDG 031, track to SH05 waypoint
Commence descent to 1500 feet
When runway in sight, land rwy 5.

Enjoy, Greg

Intel Core i7 2600K OC 5.8GHz, Quad core, 8GB RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, SATA III, Windows 7 64bit, 2 x 22" monitors.

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#7 NormG

NormG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:32 PM

Great video thanks Greg.

Cheers,

Norm

#8 CaptAus

CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:07 PM

Hi all

Recent interest in the video This is why we fly . . . has inspired me to investigate further into its origins and purpose.  It has led me to coming to an understanding of Required Navigation Performance (RNP).  RNP has made flying into terrain challenging places like Queenstown under adverse meteorological conditions possible where it wasn't before.  I am currently writing an article about it which I will share when completed.

Greg (CaptAus)

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#9 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:37 PM

I know that the posts of Greg and me are getting off-topic from this thread but I will leave it to Dean (as Administrator) to do any migration of them seen appropriate.

I only paid attention to RNP (and read a bit about it) when I bought Dazzle Colour Game's Nyingchi Mainling (Linzhi) airport a few weeks ago. That airport is in Tibet at a height of 2949m and is accessible on only about 100 days a year, but only in daylight. It is in the Yarlung Tsangpo River valley and is regarded as one of the most difficult airports in the world to reach. The approach route is 95 miles long between 4000m high mountains usually covered in cloud and fog and where there are sometimes only 4km narrow separations between ridges. The airport uses a RNP approach procedure for instrument approach guidance through the valleys.The first flight into there using RNP was in an Air China B757 without passengers on 12 July 2006 (a video of that flight is available on YouTube at https://www.youtube....h?v=PdSMk01l2wQ ). Flights with passengers started six weeks later (the video of that first passenger flight is on YouTube at https://www.youtube....h?v=ZqgvAmf0grE ).

Another airport where RNP is used is Cuzco (Cusco) in Peru which is available as an Aerosoft or LatinVFR airport. I have the Aerosoft one from PCA Aust. Another which I have is Juneau in Alaska which is available as an Orbx/FTX airport.

I have never tried using RNP even though I have the PMDG 737NGX and the blurb for that aircraft on the PCA Aust website says:

"FMC/AFDS - An all new flight management computer (FMC) and autopilot simulation that contains numerous features never before seen in an MSFS addon including Required Navigation Performance (RNP), LNAV leg bypasses, extremely accurate VNAV speed and altitude predictions, Integrated Approach Navigation (IAN) and the full complement of scratchpad warning messages that a real crew could see."

I wonder whether anyone on this Forum has tried RNP on these or any other airports? What other flight sim aircraft have RNP capability?

Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users