11 replies to this topic

#1 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:37 PM

Has anyone noticed that in the past month or so it seems to be cheaper to buy some flight sim software (at least, downloads) cheaper here in Australia than from overseas sources (when you convert the prices to a common currency)?

I have had a number of recent instances where the price in Australia has been less than the price in Europe or in the US (even in one case where I had bought directly from the developer).

As I have indicated in various posts, I prefer to buy products from PCA Aust and only go elsewhere when the product is not stocked by PCA Aust or does not look likely to be stocked in the near future.

The perception of "cheaper" can't be due to currency movements because there have only been limited movements of the Australian dollar against the US dollar and the Euro in recent months.

Most of the European/UK stores which I have historically dealt with showed prices as both VAT inclusive and ex-VAT. On some sites, the ex-Vat price came up for all products immediately I logged on.

About six months ago, a Euro store adopted a new system for people browsing who were not immediately recognised by the site. For example, if I accessed the site from a computer other than my own, I couldn't do so unless I indicated in a drop-down box which country I was from. I assumed that that was so the prices could appear either with or without VAT, as was appropriate.

However, for the past month or so, I have noticed that the prices for me on most of the European/UK retail sites are now shown only with VAT included, so that I am paying VAT even though not liable for it. A semi-remaining exception is Eiresim which says that it is "quite difficult" to build the differential VAT arrangement into the  sales system but that they will arrange a refund of the VAT on request. I can vouch for that because I made the request by email shortly after a purchase and immediately received an email saying the refund would be processed through PayPal and within a couple of minutes, I received the PayPal adjustment notification.

Imagine how much dearer it is going to be for a person in Australia to buy them after the GST on downloads from overseas sales commences and so provides a level playing field with local sales.

Gary

#2 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:30 PM

Today, I was looking at the prices for FSDG's Paro published by Aerosoft.

It is not yet available in Australia.

On the developer's website, the product (without the Aerosoft brand) sells for Euros 14.50.

The Aerosoft branded version of the product sells for less than 1 Euro dearer at a European retail site, ie Euros 15.08. At a US retail site, it sells for USD $22.99.

Greatly varying currency fluctuations between those two currencies and the Australian Dollar have the European one selling for the equivalent of AUD$23 and the US one at the equivalent of AUD$32, a difference of 39%, and, thus, providing a stark reminder that, in current times, it is worthwhile paying attention to the effective cost in the country of the purchaser.

Gary

#3 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:50 PM

To make clear that the price differentials are due to currency factors, rather than different retail stores setting different retail prices, Paro is available from two European retail stores at the same price, Euros 15.08. In the US, it is available from two stores which both charge the same price, USD $22.99.

Gary

#4 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:14 AM

I have found another example where if you buy in a currency other than that of the host country of the developer and then eventually everything gets converted to Australian dollars, you appear to be doubly hit.

As I have mentioned in other posts, I like having add-on Asian airports.

Initially, I had some reluctance about products produced in Japan because I had read a number of posts in flight sim forums saying how expensive flight sim products were in Japan.

However, I ended up buying all of the Wing Creation Japanese airports from European and US retailers (PCA Aust does not stock them). The prices were higher than what I would have expected for most of those products if they had been produced elsewhere but nowhere as high as the prices I had the mental picture of when reading the flight sim forums.

However, I have been jolted somewhat on this aspect. I was attracted by a post about Japanese airports on the Avsim Forum this morning. There was a comment about the high prices for international purchasers and gave a link to Aerosim: http://www.aerosim.c...igo/page1_e.htm

That lists Japanese airports which I do not have but would like to get. However, when using the Purchase tab at the top of the page, the prices in US Dollars are shown for international purchasers. I was taken back by the USD prices and when I converted those to AUD, a "no purchase" decision was the only one.

Having regard to the Yen to AUD exchange rate, I wonder whether Aerosim is prepared to sell to Australia in Yen.

Gary

#5 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:24 AM

Although it is not apparent from the New Releases in Store segment of the Forum (the most recent post there being 16 December), in early December 2015 Aerosoft's Svolvaer and Nassau airports were listed on PCA Aust.

I was initially going to buy both but after reading on the Aerosoft Forum posts about problems experienced with those two products, I decided against buying them - at least until the problems appear to be resolved.

Why mention this in this Thread? In the course of seeking more information about the two products, I noticed that their prices at PCA Aust were lower than than at the four other overseas and Australian sites I looked at (when the prices at the overseas sites were converted to AUD at the time I looked).

Svolvaer was $18.95 at PCA Aust. At another Australian site and a European site, it was a few cents more than that. At two US sites it was AUD  @ $2 and $8 more.

Nassau was $21.95 at PCA Aust. At another Australian site and a European site, it was about AUD $4 more than that. At two US sites it was about AUD $6 more.

Thus, two more examples of where, if you live in Australia, it is cheaper to buy at home and, if you live in the US or Europe, currency conversions running in your favour make it even cheaper to buy from Australia.

Gary

#6 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:59 AM

There is a sense of deja vu (sorry, my keyboard does not go to accent marks) about this, against the background of my previous post #5 of almost a month ago.

Aerosoft's Valencia was listed this morning on PCA Aust for AUD $25.50. This is some cents cheaper than at another Australian outlet and a large European one but over AUD $9 cheaper than at two US outlets (one of which is the US store of PCA).

This is of only academic interest to me currently because, like the two other Aerosoft products mentioned in my post #5,  I had initially intended to buy Valencia when it eventually became listed at PCA Aust but, in the meantime, posts on the Aerosoft Forum have indicated problems with it. Thus, like the other two products, I have decided to defer any purchase until I see something which satisfies me that the product is without the indicated problems.

The Valencia price scenario provided the realisation that the examples I have given are all Aerosoft products. Does Aerosoft have a pricing regime approach which ensures that purchases in Australia are not disadvantaged by the effect of currency variations?

Gary

#7 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:46 AM

Gary,

Most all Aerosoft download products are priced based on a direct EURO > AUD conversion, instead of a USD > AUD conversion like most of the other products.

Hope that helps explain it :)

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

#8 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:18 PM

Dean

It does - so the moral of the story is that, unless you are resident in the US, don't buy Aerosoft products from a US outlet.

On a side-note, I have been losing out in currency conversion with my purchases from Just Flight in recent times (of products PCA Aust does not have, like the Dove/Devon) in that whilst the prices are advertised by JF in GBP/Euros/US Dollars, when I log in to buy the only option given to me is US Dollars which means that I end up paying more in AUD than I would do via one of the other two currencies.

Gary

#9 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:04 PM

Dean

It does - so the moral of the story is that, unless you are resident in the US, don't buy Aerosoft products from a US outlet.

Gary

That applies to Aussies yes :P

Depends on differing exchange rates between other countries for those outside of the U.S. and Australia of course.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#10 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:12 AM

LatinWings' Approaching Quito published by Aerosoft and which became available at PCA Aust yesterday is yet another example of the type of pricing differential I mentioned in the posts above as to why you would buy those products from an Australian outlet.

Gary

#11 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:36 PM

Gary,

Yes! More favorable exchange direct from EUR > AUD than EUR > USD > AUD at present.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#12 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:00 PM

The consistent run of examples (above) to demonstrate from which country (Australia) it is best to buy Aerosoft downloads has come to a halt with Aerosoft's Graz. The price in Europe is about 25% cheaper than what I have seen elsewhere (using the current currency conversions to AUD).

All of this is strange as to why it has has only happened now, with this particular product (it has not happened with the Aerosoft F3 Lightning listed at PCA Aust at the same time) and when the AUD has been moving upwards in the past week or so.

Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users