1 reply to this topic

#1 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:33 PM

Initially, I was not going to buy this airport.

I was concerned that with the number of payware airports I have installed over Orbx Northern California in this area, I might experience performance issues, as had been adverted to by some posters on other forums.

However, I subsequently bought it - persuaded by the low price at PCA Aust (compared with other retail stores) http://www.pcaviator...ge=0&featured=Y , the representations in the product blurb about compatibility with FTX and the idea that I could disenable (by unticking) nearby airports in the FSX Scenery Library to deal with any diminished performance issues.

I have downloaded the product but not installed or used it. Why?

It comes down to what posts in this and other forums have said about the content of product blurbs and the reliance which can or ought to be placed on them.

In common with those on all other retail sites except one, the blurb on PCA Aust says in part:

"FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Does this scenery work with FSX Steam Edition? - Yes! Palo Alto Airport works perfectly with FSX Steam Edition.

Does this scenery work with Orbx Full Terrain X (FTX)? - Yes! Palo Alto Airport was built to be compatible with Orbx Full Terrain X (FTX).

What simulators is this scenery compatible with? - Palo Alto Airport is compatible with Flight Simulator X and Prepare3D."

The odd man out in terms of the content of website product blurbs is FSS which omits the second of those FAQs. For the reasons mentioned below, I suspect that that omission is not accidental.

One might ask "what is 'compatible'?". One dictionary meaning is "(of two things) able to exist or occur together without problems or conflict."

When I opened the product Readme, this is what I was confronted with:

"If you use FTX from Orbx you will need to remove the files below so that KPAO can be compatible. PLEASE PLEASE make sure you make a backup of these files before you delete them.

1) Remove the files below from -  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_NCA05_SCENERY\scenery

ADEX_FTX_NCA_KPAO_Palo_Alto_of_Santa_Clara_Co_CVX.bgl

ADEX_FTX_NCA_KPAO_Palo_Alto_of_Santa_Clara_Co.BGL

FTX_NCA_objects_KPAO_PLC.bgl

2) Please remove the files below from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\AddonScenery\CIELOSIM_KPAO\scenery"

Now, to have to be undertaking a form of multiple programs surgical intervention does not fit my understanding of the concept of compatibility any more than would suggesting that a particular home garage is compatible with a particular type of motor car if part of a wall has to be knocked out to accommodate the car.

Feeling somewhat aggrieved, I went back to check the wording of the blurb and only then noticed that there appears to be a fine distinction in the choice of words in the second and third FAQs, the second saying "was built to be compatible with"  but the third saying  "is compatible with. Would the average reader and potential customer pick up that there is a difference or potential difference there?

Anyway, I won't be installing this product. If another pre-existing product is working satisfactorily, why should I change it and risk the unknown. This will be a lesson to me to be more discerning in reading product blurbs in the future and when in doubt, see what is said on flight sim forums before you buy.

Gary

#2 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:03 PM

Gary,

I dont use Orbx region scenery, except for Australia... Since those filenames indicate ADEX (ADE) they could possibly just be traffic related files for AI, and the objects one may be scenery objects possibly added by Orbx in one of their freeware airport upgrades releases. I am speculating a touch and would advise further research if concerned, but for the sake of removing just three .BGL files (making backup copies is easy - just copy those three files to another drive location), you could not do too much damage, if any, by simply removing BGL files like that. They can just be replaced if something doesn't appear or work after you removed them.

I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try if it were me. I think those files can be removed with no major issues with your sim, that cannot easily be fixed etc.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users