Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:46 PM

Visit to Karl’s 737 Simulator
By Anton von Sierakowski

On 19 September 2015, our intrepid simmers from Aussie Star Flight Simulation and PC Aviator Forums met at the Beechworth Bakery at 10am on the way to visiting Karl Penrose's functional Boeing 737-600 simulator at his home on the outskirts of Bendigo.

The sim is a real nose from an Austrian Airlines Boeing 737-600 Next Generation. Karl had it shipped out in a crate which now sits in the back yard and has been fitted out as his wife's sewing room.

The simulator has been installed in a specially built steel garage near the house on his 15 acre property. It took Karl just three months to get the sim to a basic flying state  For a period of time Karl was the only private person in the world to own a Next Generation cone.

The sim is currently driven by a single Intel PC which runs Flight Sim X for the scenery which is projected onto a canvas screen on the garage wall in front of the cockpit windows. Six monitors act as the main glass cockpit displays while the plane controls are handled by the Prosim-AR software.

Karl considers he has the sim 80% operational and plans to have every instrument being original equipment whereas currently some are third party mock ups.  One of Karl's recent acquisitions was the MCP (mode control panel [auto pilot]) which he said cost him $2,500.

Flying the sim was a joy. All the flight systems work and the plane can either by flown by hand of by auto pilot with full VNAV, LNAV and Approach modes including ILS landing all programmed via two fully functional FMS (Flight Management System) CDUs. Not only was the sim a pleasure in the air but ground handling was also a breeze via a nose wheel steering tiller.

The excursion to Bendigo was organised for The Moorabbin Group, a combination of PC Aviator Australia and Aussie Star Flight Simulation members.

Bendigo%20sim12_zpsmfnfzvzt.jpeg

A 737-600 in Bendigo

Bendigo%20sim%2020_zpsglarm0wl.jpeg

A precision cut and cable looms shown

Bendigo%20sim%2030_zpsttsosz5z.jpg

Karl sets up the sim

Bendigo%20sim%2019_zpslcvwmmpx.jpeg

Anton as captain

Bendigo%20sim%2029_zpsrt8mk96h.jpg

Greg Looker as copilot

Bendigo%20sim%2028_zpsrlkpzd1g.jpg

From left to right: Greg Whiley (CaptAus) Gary Testro, Anton von Sierakowski, Karl Penrose (sim owner), Greg Looker

Intel Core i7 2600K OC 5.8GHz, Quad core, 8GB RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, SATA III, Windows 7 64bit, 2 x 22" monitors.

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
Aussie Star Flight Simulation
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#2 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,642 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:22 PM

Wow, that is a serious flight sim. I am envious. I'd be facing divorce if I had that parked in my backyard! Thanks for the write up Anton and for sharing it Greg (CaptAus). Much appreciated.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

#3 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:47 PM

Dean

If you are using your wife as the litmus test, then Karl's wife must be the epitome of tolerance because his hobbies/other interests are not confined to what you read and see in Anton's article.

The first thing I saw when Anton and I drove into Karl's property was one of these:

Z3_class_%28255%29_tram_in_Met_livery,_o

- a Melbourne Z class tram which I use to go between home and the city (and which Anton and his walking group would have used a few weeks ago as part of their excursion along my river, the Maribyrnong). This particular photo is from Wikipedia and shows the 57 route West Maribyrnong-City tram passing the Waterloo Cup Hotel in Maribyrnong Road Ascot Vale (although Wikipedia does not identify the location of the photoshoot, it is a dead giveaway to a local!). Karl's one is in a slightly different livery and showing the 59 Airport West-City route on its destination board (which route I also use).

He also has some smaller scale other trams (including vintage styles). He has tracks of two gauges running around his property together with overhead power lines.

I was interested to know how he mows the grass with so many tracks being there. He showed me a 3m long engine/tram which he runs on the tracks spraying herbicide in the vicinity of the tracks.

Many thanks to Karl for his generosity in allowing us access to the sim and for the four hours he spent with us - dealing with both the sim and the trams, rather than mowing his grass!

Gary

#4 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:59 AM

Dean

If my previous post whets your appetite and you are tempted to have a Z Class tram in your backyard, you can buy one here (in view of their range of other railed products, you don't even have to stop at buying a tram!)- http://www.a-tm.com.au/saletram.html

Gary

#5 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:56 PM

Planes, trains (trams)... Any automobiles in the collection too? Wonder what a tram costs. This is about the only one I could afford:

Malcolm-tram_Bylands_16July2011.JPG

I am guessing most Melbournites will know what Movie this comes from!

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#6 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:02 AM

At least Malcolm would!

As a piece of trivia, the Hanna St Depot shown on the destination board ceased to be known by that name about 25 years before the movie. When the Kings Bridge (named as a companion to the neighbouring Queens Bridge but generally called the King Street Bridge because of it being basically the prolongation of King Street) was built in the early 1960s, what was previously known as Hanna Street was renamed Kingsway and the depot was then renamed the South Melbourne Depot. It has since been demolished and the site redeveloped.

Gary

#7 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:39 PM

Good and interesting information Gary. Do you happen to know where the Malcolm tram as shown above is currently located?

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#8 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:45 PM

Dean

Last I heard, it was at the Bylands Tram Museum near Kilmore.

Therefore, Greg Looker might know.

Gary

#9 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:18 PM

Dean

As I supplement, my recollection was historically correct as per the caption to the photo in the Wikipedia entry for the film - https://en.wikipedia.../Malcolm_(film)

However, I can't see any mention of it on the museum's website - http://www.tramway.org.au/

I was last at the museum when my kids were approaching their teens - that's about thirty years ago and it would have just pre-dated the film.

The Brisbane trams and trolley buses pre-dated you as they ceased running in 1969 - see the DVDs which are available - http://hawthorntramd...u/shop/dvds.htm

Gary

#10 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:04 PM

Yes they did pre-date me... Can still find the tracks from this lost system around parts of Brisbane, most noticeably near Camp Hill and Carina.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users