4 replies to this topic

#1 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:36 AM

In the past few days, Virtualcol has released its Shorts Regional Pack, containing a number of versions of the aircraft in many liveries (including Australian ones). This is the only payware Shorts flight sim product that I am aware of.

Although PCA Aust lists Virtualcol in its list of manufacturers, no products are shown for it. However, consistent with the Virtualcol products released in recent years, the Shorts product is available at the US store of PCA. I bought it directly from the developer.

Primarily for the benefit of Dean and the Queensland Gary, see below for screenshots of one of the models in the Sunstate Airlines livery:

2015-12-27_22-20-4-102_zpshbvsuy3c.png

2015-12-27_22-19-52-792_zpsvigpxi8z.png

By the way, the aircraft is not exactly at "home" in those screenshots as the airport there is the recently released Wing Creation's Niigata in Japan!

I have always thought of the Shorts models as somewhat ugly. I don't seem to be alone in that thought, there being an article "The Ugliest Planes of All Time" where it gets a mention as follows:

"— The Shorts SD-330, 360, and SC-7 Skyvan

Northern Ireland gave us Stiff Little Fingers, the great, long-forgotten punk band of the late ’70s and early ’80s. It also gave us the Shorts Brothers, known for their line of boxy commuter turboprops. I admit to a fondness for the 330 and 360 models. Sure they’re inelegant, but the design is so wonderfully utilitarian — and from certain angles the planes do maintain a certain grace and dignity. The Skyvan, however, is another story. Could you fly on one of these scaled-up child’s toys and still feel good about yourself in the morning?

Shorts-1024x383.jpg

The Shorts SD-330 and SC-7 Skyvan.   “Pigy” indeed"

I tried flying it for the first time last night. Somewhat surprisingly, it was a breeze to fly.

For completeness, see the screenshot below of the cockpit. I have mentioned the Virtualcol cockpits in earlier posts. Unfortunately, in my view, they don't appear to match the standard of the aircraft exteriors.

2015-12-27_22-20-43-900_zpsr8vu4y1p.png

Gary

#2 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:27 AM

For anyone interested in the Shorts, less than a day after I paid full price it and all other Virtualcol products have gone on sale at multiple outlets at 50% off.

For me to mention this is no skin off Dean's nose because he does not stock any Virtualcol products at present.

I mention this partly because, In my previous post, I indicated that the US store of PCA stocks the Virtualcol Shorts. It was the only outlet I specifically identified as doing so. Although that US store is currently advertising, as part of its December specials, 40% of "all" Virtualcol products, the price of the Shorts there is not shown as reduced.

Gary

#3 m0dpsych

m0dpsych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:19 PM

Hi Gary,

Might have to add that one to my fleet but have to say it isn't the prettiest plane around. It is nice to see lesser known liveries available as well.

QG

I'm from the Government and I'm here to help!!!!

#4 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:45 AM

Can't take a trick here.

Not only did I go a day early with the Shorts and miss the 50% discount - see post #2 - but 5 days after I bought Wing Creation's Niigata (see the mention in post #1) for about AUD $38, it has gone on sale at 30% off.

Just shows - it pays to wait.

Gary

#5 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:41 PM

Further to my post #2, PCA Aust now stocks the Shortshttp://www.pcaviator...ge=0&featured=Y

Gary

• Dean (PC Aviator) likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users