36 replies to this topic

#1 dtpeck

dtpeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:55 PM

Good Morning,

I recently purchased and installed MSE New York 2.0 into Prepar3d v 3.1.  When I fly across Long Island I notice severe color striations across the Island as I fly.  I have tried to adjust the settings in many different ways but I have been unable to make any change to this strange effect.  I have taken a few screenshots to show you what I am talking about but I can't figure out how to attach them.  Is this a known issue for which there is no cure or is there something I can do to fix it?  It is not enjoyable to fly through it the way it is.  Any help you could offer would be great.  Thanks.

#2 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:41 AM

Hi there,

Do these colour variations only occur on Long Island? And are the variations wildly different colours, or just tonal changes across a similar colour hue?

Its possible this could be normal, but would need to see a screenshot. Remember that photoreal scenery is limited by the availability of aerial imagery at the time the product was made. It's possible the colour variations are part of the original imagery (which may not be all from one single source set). This is mentioned in the MSE user guide/manual.

Send me a message here and I'll give you an address to send me a screenshot, so I can see if it is anything out of the ordinary.

Dean

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

#3 dtpeck

dtpeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:14 AM

The color variations do occur across the state to some degree but it is very apparent over Long Island.  While flying you can see the actual boundary of the color shift on the horizon.  The bands of color seem to be uniform across the Island and don't seem to be normal color variations from photoreal imagery which i am aware of. They are not wildly different colors, it transitions from a light shade to the normal color then the pattern repeats.

#4 Norm

Norm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:26 PM

I have those pesky striations too. Makes me itch!

I purchased Alabama a couple of weeks ago. The first thing I noticed was the nearby mountainside looked like a ski run. In summer.

There are extra translucent bluish layers here and there laying on top of the scenery. Some vanish when you get on top. Others stay.

Making a couple of trips from 120-300 miles in state I never flew over terrain where there weren't those extra layers on top of the scenery, either under me or in the distance.

Sound like something you have seen before? I'd be happy to supply a screen shot.

The program has been optimized according to instructions. I'll say one thing. When it works, it is magnificent. As my home is in the landing lane it was easy to find...as promised. House, trees and even the garden in the back! Neat! (No bluish layer over my house, thank goodness!)

#5 Norm

Norm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:35 AM

I have those pesky striations too. Makes me itch!

I purchased Alabama a couple of weeks ago. The first thing I noticed was the nearby mountainside looked like a ski run. In summer.

I see it's now a couple of weeks later. Anyone there?

#6 dtpeck

dtpeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:35 PM

Haven't been able to get any help with this issue at all. I have emailed the support for the software to get my guaranteed refund and have not heard back from them either! Looks like I'm stuck with uninstalling a product I now have no intentions of using. So much for money-back guarantee!
  • Norm likes this

#7 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:56 AM

Can you post an image on an image sharing website of this and link it here so we can see? 

Colour variations in bands on Long Island are a known issue (its the source imagery that also has these for that product). But I just want to make sure that is what you are seeing and nothing else (for which there may be a solution for).

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

#8 Norm

Norm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:51 AM

Can you post an image on an image sharing website of this and link it here so we can see?

Absolutely!

BlueLayer1.jpg

BlueLayer2.jpg

Ok, first I must apologize for the quality. I could not get a screenshot no matter how many tricks I used so I finally took a picture of the dang thing. Dunno why I only got a black screen.

What you'll see is the blue overlays intersecting the good stuff. They are like an additional translucent layer. Sometimes as you approach they will vanish and sometimes they don't. It's that way all over the state.

My computer was updated to WinX from 7. The good news is that FSX finally works as advertised with the new operating system. However, I use the FSX settings you provided...and even played around with those. No difference as to the blue layer. The shots were taken at 5500 feet. Height makes no difference.

Is this something you have seen before? Gotta tell you, as I said before when it works, your graphics are spectacular compared to what came with the program.

Anything you need, ask. Glad to give any info I know. And Thanks!

Norm

#9 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:51 AM

Norm

I will check tonight to see whether I have the light blue areas.

I cannot recall having ever experienced them. However, I may not be a true comparison because although I have MSE2 New York, I am on Win 7 and FSX. I am wondering whether what you are experiencing is a product of either or both of your Win 10 and Prepar3d.

Gary

#10 dtpeck

dtpeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:46 AM

Dean, I will try to post the pictures I have tomorrow when I am back at my computer.

Derron

#11 Norm

Norm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:20 PM

Norm

I will check tonight to see whether I have the light blue areas.

Hi Gary,

Flight Sim is the only "game" I have ever had. The first one was on my C-128 (C64 mode) about 2000 years ago. I never could land that darned plane.

I'm pretty good with computers but this kind of graphic thing is totally out of my experience. I'm pretty sure the wizards can figger it out easily. The fix if there is one...well that may be a different story. 

BTW, there is one other thing. With Win10, ESC at the end of the flight carries you to a dark screen. I have to CTRL ALT Delete to break out of it. Then I can go back to the startup or review the flight. I don't mind that too much because the program finally works like it supposed to otherwise. When not using the new textures I can run it nearly wide open if I want. I could only run it up half way with 7.

Norm

#12 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:11 PM

Norm

I flew east to west along the centre of Long Island in an Aerosoft Twin Otter at 7000 feet and did not experience what your screenshots show.

The only thing unusual was the bluish grey tringe/hue adjacent to some, but not all, waterways on the south side of the Island (the Forge River area is an example).

The only time I encountered light blue areas like you had was on my first attempt when I intended to fly west to east from JFK and because I forgot to disenable the DD airports in the NY area, I got an OOM shortly after take-off and the light blue areas then appeared.

Gary

#13 dtpeck

dtpeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:26 PM

These are the bands of color I am seeing when I fly.  They are very visible during flight at all times and it diminishes the overall experience.  The scenery is great as Norm had mentioned when all is well but I am having a hard time with this being considered normal.  Is this the normal variation you mention?  I took the one screenshot from high above so you can see that it is not a random area but more of a pattern.

https://www.flickr.c...2253@N07/2RKZRA

Hope these help.

#14 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:09 AM

I have not experienced the colour effects illustrated in the screenshots by Norm and dtpeck. Those colour effects are not something I would expect reading the warning for this product at PCA Aust, the warning saying:

"Note: There is some variability in image quality in some areas due to source imagery (particularly around Long Island). "

As both are using Prepar3d, I am wondering whether that is the cause or whether, if like Norm dtpeck is on Win10, the combination of both is causing the effect.

It would be useful to hear from someone who uses MSE2 New York in conjunction with Prepar3d and Win7 because that would provide a comparison with I did not see when using FSX.

Gary

#15 Norm

Norm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:20 PM

These are the bands of color I am seeing when I fly. 

I just checked out your pic dtpeck. And...sure as heck, it's the same deal. I hate it that you got the same problem, but glad from the standpoint that our experiences aren't unique. It ought to aid in troubleshooting for the developers.

Let's trade some facts...

I'm using your standard Dell Inspiron 560 Dual Core with 6 gigs ram. Recently upgraded to Win10. DirectX 10...everything enabled (if it makes any difference.)

Having zero problems with any other graphics that I know of. And aside from having to CTRL Alt Delete or press the the Windows button to get out of play mode after ESC as already mentioned FSX works dandy outside my map area in good old Alabama.

Norm

#16 Norm

Norm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:22 PM

Gary,

I really appreciate your feedback!

Your fan,

Norm

I have not experienced the colour effects illustrated in the screenshots by Norm and dtpeck. Those colour effects are not something I would expect reading the warning for this product at PCA Aust, the warning saying:

"Note: There is some variability in image quality in some areas due to source imagery (particularly around Long Island). "

#17 Norm

Norm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:43 AM

On approach to the blue stuff...

Sometimes a little learning is a dangerous thing. Like how to post pictures. Ha.

The first time I fired up FSX with my new textures at my home airport, I remember thinking. Gee, I don't recall any glaciers over on that hill over yonder....  The snap below is about 30 miles from the home base as the Piper flies. And nope...that's not a glacier either. Just the blue stuff...

BlueLayer3.jpg

#18 dtpeck

dtpeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:14 AM

Thanks for the info Norm.  My system is an AMD FX-8320 8-core 3.5 gHz with 16 Gb RAM witha Radeon R7 200 series 2 GB video card and of course I am using Windows 10.  Would love to know how you are able to post the pictures directly in the post, can't seem to figure that one out either.  Copy/paste doesn't seem to do it and I can't find an insert photo button!  I have gone through the process of reinstalling just to make sure I didn't mess something up but have had no luck with that either.. No changes in any of the graphics settings seem to make a difference either.  Thank you Gary for agreeing with me that this seems above and beyond the normal variances referenced in the Product Info pages.  I also got my software via download (like most I would imagine these days!) so I don't know if the CD version would be any different?  I took a few flights around upstate New York and didn't seem to have any of the problems I am having with the Long Island area, my home turf!

Derron

#19 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:58 PM

Details of how to post screenshots are found at http://pcaviatorforu...eenshots-guide/

I use Photobucket. However, on the few occasions when I have experienced a problem with Photobucket, I have done the mouse right click on the image and then left clicked "Copy image" and then pasted it in a Forum post by the usual right click and then left click "Paste" - see: http://pcaviatorforu...?hl=photobucket I have not noticed any significant difference in the result when appearing on the Forum - see http://pcaviatorforu...-florida-query/ where those in my first post are using my fall-back method and those in my third post are going via the Photobucket route..

Gary

#20 dtpeck

dtpeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for the info Gary. My links to the photos show up as links while Norms pictures are directly in the post, that is what I was asking about.  Anyway here are a few more shots.

Here are some more photos.  This is upstate NY, clear all around, nothing but lush green vegetation

https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

And here is Long Island with its blocky blue hues over half the Island

https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

I am not sure if an OS could be responsible for singling out Long Island and the rest of the state is normal.  Still seems weird.  Have we gotten any closer to coming up with other possible reasons?

Derron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users