Photo

Flight Simulation Dedicated Virtual Systems (DVS)

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 m0dpsych

m0dpsych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:01 AM

How is this for a machine?

Breakdown of September 2013 issue of MAXIMUMPC "Dream Machine 2013":

CPU:                Intel Core i7-3970X                                                        Price:  $1,000

Mobo:              Asus Rampage IV Extreme                                                            430

RAM:               64GB                                                                                          1,200

GPU:               4x EVGA GeForce GTX Titan Hydro Copper                               4,680

SSD:                2x Samsung 840 Pro                                                                  1,000

SSD:                2x Crucial M500                                                                          1,200

HDD:                3x WD Caviar Black                                                                       900

ODD:               Pioneer BDR-208DBK                                                                      70

Cooling:           Custom Liquid Cooling                                                                1,000

PSU:                 LEPA G1600-MA                                                                           330

Case:                Corsair 900D                                                                                350

Paint:                Smooth Creations                                                                         400

OS:                   Windows 8 Professional                                                                100

Monitor:             Asus PQ321                                                                              3,800

Mouse:              SteelSeries Sensei                                                                         75

Keyboard:          IBM Model M                                                                          ____50

TOTAL                                                                                                            $16,585                                

A couple of other interesting details:

The four SSD's and three HDD's totaled 15TB of storage space.

They needed every single watt the LEPA G1600-MA PSU could produce to run the computer

With 17 fans and two massive radiators installed, the temps on the overclocked CPU (3.5GHz core pushed to 5GHz) and GPU's (overclocked out of the box at 928MHz, with a boost clock of 980MHz) rarely even moved. 

If you want to have a look, go to www.maximumpc.com

I'm from the Government and I'm here to help!!!!

#22 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

Impressive, but for $16k, it would want to be. I'd be wanting at least 6 or 7Ghz if I am paying that much :P

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

#23 VH-DLS

VH-DLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Vic.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:07 AM

Hey Gary...
have you built your new machine yet?

Cheers,
Dennis

"There are old pilots, and bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots."

#24 m0dpsych

m0dpsych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:48 PM

Hi Dennis,

No unfortunately, it is in a holding pattern due to some upcoming medical stuff that I am going through. I hope to get it soon though. Might end up with one of the newer CPU's yet, will wait and see.

Gary

#25 VH-DLS

VH-DLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:40 PM

Hi Dennis, No unfortunately, it is in a holding pattern due to some upcoming medical stuff that I am going through. I hope to get it soon though. Might end up with one of the newer CPU's yet, will wait and see. Gary

Ouch...medical stuff...sounds painful! Hope all goes well for you! Keep me posted. :-)
By the way, I recently bought an 80cm wide screen TV - it is now hooked up as my ftx monitor. Baby steps, but I'm on the way to the perfect system. <grin>

Cheers,
Dennis

#26 m0dpsych

m0dpsych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

Nice, I have one as well. When I move my computer out to the granny flat thought I might use our 42" tv as the main screen and put one of my 24" monitors either side and use them for some of the instrument/throttle/ atc displays. Or maybe I will just get another 42" for that and one for main screen  :)  :)

Gary

#27 Gibbo

Gibbo

Forum Statistician

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

Hi Dean (and anyone else who'd like to comment)

The time has come...I'm going to bite the bullet and have a new dedicated flightsim system built rather than doing a limited upgrade on my existing machine.

Have just been offered the following specs, based on a budget in the range of $1000 - $1500. I'd appreciate your opinion as to its potential performance with FSX.

Intel Quad Core i5 3.2 GHz 4th generation CPU socket 1150

Gigabyte B85M-HD3 Mainboard mATX with Intel chipset and socket 1150

8GB Kingston RAM DDR3-1600MHz (1 x 8GB)

Western Digital Black 1TB SATA 3 Hard Drive 7200rpm

LG DVD Multi Drive 24x

Gigabyte PCI-e GT610 nVidia Video Card

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Fractal Design CORE 1000 mATX Case with Casecom 700 Watt power supply

The quote for building this has come in at the lower end of my budget range, so I do have some wriggle room if your suggestions involve spending a few $hundred more to avoid any potential weak spots. As these specs are akin to a foreign language to me (computer illiterate chap that I am), please be gentle with me on the technical front!

Cheers,

Gibbo

"Too much flight simming is barely enough"

#28 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

Hi Dean (and anyone else who'd like to comment)

The time has come...I'm going to bite the bullet and have a new dedicated flightsim system built rather than doing a limited upgrade on my existing machine.

Have just been offered the following specs, based on a budget in the range of $1000 - $1500. I'd appreciate your opinion as to its potential performance with FSX.

Intel Quad Core i5 3.2 GHz 4th generation CPU socket 1150

Gigabyte B85M-HD3 Mainboard mATX with Intel chipset and socket 1150

8GB Kingston RAM DDR3-1600MHz (1 x 8GB)

Western Digital Black 1TB SATA 3 Hard Drive 7200rpm

LG DVD Multi Drive 24x

Gigabyte PCI-e GT610 nVidia Video Card

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Fractal Design CORE 1000 mATX Case with Casecom 700 Watt power supply

The quote for building this has come in at the lower end of my budget range, so I do have some wriggle room if your suggestions involve spending a few $hundred more to avoid any potential weak spots. As these specs are akin to a foreign language to me (computer illiterate chap that I am), please be gentle with me on the technical front!

Cheers,

Gibbo

Gibbo,

Immediately, the video card is ringing major alarm bells for me. The 610 is not a gaming card... its a basic video card for Windows really. You are going to wantsomething in the order of a GTX660 or 760 as minimum. There really isn't any way around this. Anything less than this in the video card department and the rest of your system will be wasted.

Secondly, check if that CPU can be overclocked into the higher end of the 3Ghz range (around 3.8 or 3.9 Ghz) with appropriate cooling.

The rest will suffice ok, but the video card definitely needs to be switched to a proper gaming card, and the CPU could use a bit of a speed boost given that FSX is very much CPU dependant.

Hope that helps!

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#29 Gibbo

Gibbo

Forum Statistician

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hi Dean,

Thanks for your prompt feedback on this.  Interesting that you zoomed straight in on the video card...I've now been on a few forums specifically looking at the specs simmers include, and I couldn't find a single one that included this card, but quite a number showing the GTX660 and 760.

In terms of the CPU...rather than overclocking, what would be the next step up from the i5 3.2 GHz? Now that I'm committed to this, I'd be prepared to invest closer to the $2000 mark to ensure a really good performance. If I went with a faster CPU, would I then need to also look at a higher spec video card than the 2 you suggest? 

Sorry about the painfully basic questions, but I'm sort of starting from a minimal level of knowledge here. Really appreciate your advice.

Also, as I've been typing this a courier arrived with my FSX Gold Edition...brilliant service, thanks!

Cheers,

Gibbo

#30 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

Gibbo,

I'm probably a little outdated knowledge-wise on the latest CPUs and their speeds, but for FSX in particular, it doesn't really matter what type you get, what matters is how fast you can run whatever type you do get. Most serious flight simmers will overclock their CPU, no matter how fast it is out of the box. CPU speed is crucial to overall FSX performance. The faster, the better. I'd advise to hunt around the forums or ask your PC builder about which CPUs can be safely overclocked into the 4Ghz+ range and they can offer some advise. You will need a good air or water cooler to help spread the extra heat generated however.

As for video cards, the next stup up from a 660 or 760 card is a 670 (the card I currently use) or a 770. Another step up from there is a 680 or 780 etc.

There are also new Radeon cards too which get good wraps but I havent really looked at those so I wont comment any further.

There are good guides on hardware speeds and performance posted all the time over at www.tomshardware.com which are worth a look and read.

Another thing to add, if your PC builder/tech guy is NOT a hardened flight simmer, please do not believe them if they try and talk you into a lower-end video card like the 610 or 620 etc etc.

While these cards can run other "games" reasonably well, FSX is not like any other game. No matter how much you tell these guys that its more power hungry than almost any other games in history, sometimes they just wont believe it and push you to a lower/cheaper card. I am constantly hearing from customers who have just bought a brand new PC for flight simming and are not getting good performance. When I ask what video card they have... they told me their PC guy recommended a low-end video card, saying it would be "fine" for flight sim.... WRONG!

You must invest the bulk of your $$ into a fast CPU and a quality, and fast video card when it comes to FSX, otherwise your investment will go to waste if these two components in particular are not up to scratch.

Please post back your updated specs when you get another quote and we can look over them again for you.

But yes, expect a good system to cost closer to the $2k mark to run FSX well.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#31 Gibbo

Gibbo

Forum Statistician

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

Dean, thanks very much for the very clear explanation of what's needed here...you've distilled it down nicely and I now better appreciate the critical link between CPU and video card speeds. I'll do some more research as you suggest, get another quote, and come back to you for further comments.

Thanks for the link to tomshardware.

Cheers,

Gibbo

#32 Gibbo

Gibbo

Forum Statistician

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

Hello again Dean,

I've now had a long discussion with my tech, armed with your previous advice and comments, and have now got a revised quote on specs that are quite a step-up from the original. Details as follows:

* Intel i7-4770 Core i7 Processor, 3.4 Ghz, LGA1150, Quad Core 8 Threads, 8M Cache, 22nm

* Corsair 16GB (2 x 8Gb) DDR3 1600Mhz Vengeance Performance Memory

* Gigabyte N760OC-4GD GTX760 OC PCI-E 3.0 4Gb 256-bit DDR5 Video Card

* Intel 240GB SSD 530 Series SATA 111 6Gb/s, Solid State Hard Drive

* Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black, ATX Mid Tower Case, 120mm Fan, 2 x USB 3.0

* 750W Aywun Mega Power Elite Series 80PLUS Certified Power Supply

* Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with SP1

This comes in slightly under the $2500 mark, which I'd be comfortable with (just!). I'm still researching, and in particular have revisited earlier posts here about SSDs. Elsewhere I've read conflicting views about the impact SSDs have on FSX performance...some say it only helps with load times, not overall smoothness and speed, while others claim the opposite. Some others seem to just put the OS on the SSD, and everything FSX related on their standard hard drive. That's what I love about flightsim...everything is so straight forward!! 

You'll notice cooling isn't listed, as I don't think I'll overclock because I simply don't have the know-how for that.

Any comments would be appreciated when you have the time. Thanks.

Cheers,

Gibbo

"Too much flighsimming is barely enough"

#33 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

Gibbo,

Better yes! Still consider an overclock of the CPU... Its pretty critical for FSX. For example, the model you list is one of the latest processors. I have an I5-750 CPU (3-4 years old now. I have it overclocked to 3.7Ghz. Despite my CPU being 4 years older, and older technology, it will still perform better in FSX than the processor you are looking at because it has a higher clock speed (overclocked).

You could check with your tech if there is a cheaper CPU that can be overclocked to 4.3-4.5 Ghz. Some older models allow this to be done, are cheaper, and the saving on the CPU pays for the water cooler to overclock it. The end of the day, it may not be the newest CPU technology out there, but FSX doesn't care - It will run faster on whatever processor has the fastest clock speed.

RE SSDs, these have no influence on actual frame rates in FSX. They just help load things into memory faster. Once everything is loaded into the system memory, there is no performance difference at all in FSX. It has been tested several times (in a scientific manner) but serious flight simmers. 

Hope that helps!

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#34 Gibbo

Gibbo

Forum Statistician

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

Hi Dean,

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I'll have another talk with my tech and make a final decision...I feel I'm close to getting it right, and hope to place an order next week. Also, a very succinct explanation of the SSD benefit thanks, exactly what I needed. 

Cheers,

Gibbo

"Too much flighsimming is barely enough"

#35 VH-DLS

VH-DLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

Good luck with your new system, Gibbo... looks like you are on your way to a good setup.

:)

Let us know how you go with it.

Hey Deano,

I don't want to be a pain in the airframe... do you have an estimate for when the Senior Captain's Ultimate machine specs will be available?

I am definitely going to be building that one.  No hurry because I am still saving, but I am curious ( OK, to be truthful, I am worried that it may have fallen by the wayside...  :D )

Cheers,
Dennis

#36 Gibbo

Gibbo

Forum Statistician

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Good luck with your new system, Gibbo... looks like you are on your way to a good setup.

Hi there Dennis,

The new rig (exactly as detailed in my earlier post above) is now up and running...and I have to say it's an absolute cracker!! Did 7 hours of test flying on the weekend in various locations and it's stunning, at this stage just with the default scenery and default AI traffic.  Gave it a real hammering...lots of location and aircraft changes, especially in Sydney, London, Seattle and New York. Load times are lightning fast....and I'm talking mere seconds.

With frames locked at 30fps, nearly all settings on Dense or Very Dense, 85% airline and 100% GA traffic, the frame rate remained at 30 throughout, except for one instance over Heathrow where it dropped to 28.  It remained consistently smooth with no stutters. So now begins the task of gradually loading and testing all my add-ons. It's only when you start from scratch like this that you realise how much time you've spent over the years in terms of adding stuff and tweaking it all. 

And hi Dean also,

Thanks for your input and patience in getting me on the right track with this...it's a great result and much appreciated.

Cheers,

Gibbo

#37 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

Hey Deano,

I don't want to be a pain in the airframe... do you have an estimate for when the Senior Captain's Ultimate machine specs will be available?

I am definitely going to be building that one.  No hurry because I am still saving, but I am curious ( OK, to be truthful, I am worried that it may have fallen by the wayside...  :D )

It has to be honest :)

But I can look into it if you like. Of course, because PC prices and technology changes so rapidly, I probably need to update the others anyway.

The top system will be around the $3k mark. Is that roughly in your budget estimate?

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#38 VH-DLS

VH-DLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

Hi Gibbo

yeah, I guess the real test of a system is the add-ons it is running.

Sounds fantastic!  I can hardly wait until I do my own step up.

Cheers,
Dennis

#39 VH-DLS

VH-DLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:47 PM

The top system will be around the $3k mark. Is that roughly in your budget estimate?

Yes, Dean...   $3k - $4k

I have 3 now, but want to have a bit more in hand before I commit.

This will probably be the last system I will build, and it will be the first dedicated entirely to simming, so I want to get it right.

By the way, I already have suitable monitors, keyboards, mice, scanners, printers etc, so the price I am considering is for the box only. <grin>

Cheers,
Dennis

#40 Gibbo

Gibbo

Forum Statistician

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

Hi Gibbo

yeah, I guess the real test of a system is the add-ons it is running.

Sounds fantastic!  I can hardly wait until I do my own step up.

Hi Dennis,

I'll be following your progress towards your new rig with great interest as Dean helps you with the specs. As I've just discovered, the level of performance hinges hugely on the available budget. Mine came in at $2.5k, so I reckon you'll get yourself a sizzling setup for your budget.

A bit of an update on my plan for installing add-ons. I'm going to install one add-on at a time (aircraft or scenery), and do a rigorous test flight immediately after each installation, then move on to the next one. I intend to keep a written record of each install as I progress so that if there's a sudden glitch I'll be able to quickly pin-point the culprit.

Yesterday I installed Ultimate Traffic 2, followed by a series of flights out of Seattle with 50% airline and 100% GA traffic set. I taxied along the length of the terminal directly behind all the traffic at the gates, and noticed that the frame rate remained between 25 & 30 throughout (locked at 30), while a constant stream of aircraft were landing and departing on the parallel runways. As soon as I got airborne I flew directly over the top of the airport then north over the Seattle CBD, and the frames didn't budge from 30. 

Much happiness! :D

Cheers,

Gibbo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users