Photo

Out of Memory warning

memory FSX shut down

Best Answer CaptAus , 09 September 2013 - 08:00 PM

Hi all,

An update to this topic.

I'm not that disciplined when it comes to back-ups and the downloading of the most recent drivers.  I have recently dowloaded the most recent drivers from Nvidia and moved some of the sliders in Setting to the left.  I haven't had an OOM message since.  Mind you I'm not that pleased with having to sacrifice some of the graphics quality to achieve this.  It really does 'p**' me off when I can use the full capacity settings of FSX, evern when I have a pretty good specs for my computer.

Dean, you may wish to consider this topic ANSWERED.

Greg

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CaptAus

CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

Recently I have been getting an Out of Memory message window come up while in flight and FSX closes down when I click OK to the window.  Is this related to the fact that I have been installing software such as the PMDG 737-800 NGX and ORBX software such as Brisbane Airport lately? The computer I use is almost exclusively for flight sim (and dare I say, Train Sim).  In my D drive where FSX and Train Sim are located I have 705GB free of 931GB. So considering the computer's specs shown below, should I have to purchase additional RAM, or is there some other issue?

Greg

Intel Core i7 2600K OC 5.8GHz, Quad core, 8GB RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, SATA III, Windows 7 64bit, 2 x 22" monitors.

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
Aussie Star Flight Simulation
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#2 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

Greg,

If you were running 32-bit Windows, then I would say that is your likely problem, but since you have 64-bit and 8GB RAM, that is another story.

Some users have had success increasing the pagefile size in Windows to fix this issue. That would be the best starting point at least. Googling this should fins you info on how to change it, and also what figure is useful for your RAM and hard drive space remaining.

But consider you are using two of the heaviest load addons that exist in FSX - PMDG 737NGX and FTX Brisbane (a known performance killer)... That combination will bring almost any system to its knees or contribute at least to the occurrence of OOM errors.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

#3 CaptAus

CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Dean,

I have done some Google investigation on inceasing pagefile size and tried to get my head around what this means.  Some say yes go for it, other say don't touch it.  Not being as computer tech savvy as I would like to be I am reluctant at this stage to go down that path.

Greg

Intel Core i7 2600K OC 5.8GHz, Quad core, 8GB RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, SATA III, Windows 7 64bit, 2 x 22" monitors.

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#4 VH-DLS

VH-DLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Vic.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

Recently I have been getting an Out of Memory message window come up while in flight and FSX closes down when I click OK to the window.  Is this related to the fact that I have been installing software such as the PMDG 737-800 NGX and ORBX software such as Brisbane Airport lately? The computer I use is almost exclusively for flight sim (and dare I say, Train Sim).  In my D drive where FSX and Train Sim are located I have 705GB free of 931GB. So considering the computer's specs shown below, should I have to purchase additional RAM, or is there some other issue? Greg

Hi Greg,
Rono may want to talk to you about your train Sim. :-)

Cheers,
Dennis

"There are old pilots, and bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots."

#5 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:28 PM

Dean,

I have done some Google investigation on inceasing pagefile size and tried to get my head around what this means.  Some say yes go for it, other say don't touch it.  Not being as computer tech savvy as I would like to be I am reluctant at this stage to go down that path.

Greg

Might just have to avoid flying the NGX or using FTX Brisbane then I guess?

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#6 VH-DLS

VH-DLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Vic.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

And of course this; an old but glorious topic - http://www.simforums...topic29041.html

Really useful in setting up FSX for best performance.

Dean,
Greg

Hi Greg,
Before you make your final decision whether or not to operate, have a look at Clem's link (above). It deals with, among other things, OOM errors, and how to tweak your system to deal with them. It is a clear, step by step explanation. Worth a look. It is fairly long, because it deals with tuning both your hardware and fsx, so you may have to stick with it until you come to the bits that interest you.
Good luck!

Cheers,
Dennis

"There are old pilots, and bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots."

#7 CaptAus

CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for the advice guys.  I will have a look at Clem's link, but i am still reluctant to tinker with stuff I don't understand.

Greg

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#8 CaptAus

CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:00 PM   Best Answer

Hi all,

An update to this topic.

I'm not that disciplined when it comes to back-ups and the downloading of the most recent drivers.  I have recently dowloaded the most recent drivers from Nvidia and moved some of the sliders in Setting to the left.  I haven't had an OOM message since.  Mind you I'm not that pleased with having to sacrifice some of the graphics quality to achieve this.  It really does 'p**' me off when I can use the full capacity settings of FSX, evern when I have a pretty good specs for my computer.

Dean, you may wish to consider this topic ANSWERED.

Greg

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#9 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

Dean's post on 13 May 2013 spoke about "two of the heaviest load addons that exist in FSX - PMDG 737NGX and FTX Brisbane (a known performance killer)... That combination will bring almost any system to its knees or contribute at least to the occurrence of OOM errors".

I have not had  a problem with that combination with my new computer.

However, I wonder if the new FTX Southampton is a candidate for that title.

This weekend, I used it for the first time. Once loaded, the visual are slow to sequentially appear on the screen.

I was flying a QW Avro. I used it for four flights, one from FTX Cardiff through FTX England to FTX Southampton, one from FTX Southampton back towards Cardiff and the rest from FTX Southampton through FTX England over the Channel and through FSX default Europe towards Aerosoft airports. On the first four, I experienced OOM messages and a close down. Of those, the arrival at Southampton was one, just as I touched down on the runway. Yet, the fifth over the Channel was fine, even landing and taking off at about five Aerosoft airports in Germany and the Netherlands.

#10 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

Gary,

Interesting. Did you happen to try the PMDG 737 NGX at Southampton? I'd be interested to know if you get OOMs with that combination. I don't have Southampton so I cannot comment.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#11 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

Dean

I was  using only the QW Avro.

I will try the PMDG 737 NGX there next weekend. I will try the Twin Otter as well to get a broader spectrum of experimental outcomes.

#12 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

Dean

I was  using only the QW Avro.

I will try the PMDG 737 NGX there next weekend. I will try the Twin Otter as well to get a broader spectrum of experimental outcomes.

Ok let us know how you go. Obviously, if all aircraft give you an OOM there, then logic says it may be the scenery at fault. If only the QW Avro OOMs there, then its likely something with the Avro.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: memory, FSX shut down

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users