CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

Hi guys,

A problem solving exercise:  I have a Saitek Pro Flight yoke system and quadrant.  I happen to have a spare quadrant.  The question is, can I connect the second quadrant to the system?  If so how?  It does not have a USB connection.  Can I then program the quadrant to operate twin engine aircraft? If so how?  It is possible to remove the knobs from the levers and have 2 black, 2 blue and 2 red beside each other.

Cheers

Greg

PS  How do you reduce the size of photos

001_zps3a633fe9.jpg

Intel Core i7 2600K OC 5.8GHz, Quad core, 8GB RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, SATA III, Windows 7 64bit, 2 x 22" monitors.

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
Aussie Star Flight Simulation
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#2 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,642 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

Greg,

Good question. Usually this is no problem as the separate Saitek Throttle Quadrant you can buy has a USB connection, so you just plug that in, it detects as a new controller, and then you just make the assignments in FSX. But since you have a PS2 connected one, that could be more troublesome. I have never had any other customer ask this, and never tried it myself. My first thought is a PS2 > USB converter plug, but these are never guaranteed and often don't work all that well, but if you can find a converter cheap enough it may be worth a try. It looks like you can get these on ebay etc for a couple dollars. If that worked, then it would be straight forward. If not, I am not sure how else you would do that. 

As for the knobs, they can simply be pulled off each lever stem and switched over no problem. As to how to program them, you just make the assignments in FSX. There are individual assignments available for Engine 1 throttle axis, Engine 2 throttle axis, Engine 1 prop axis, Engine 2 prop axis, Engine 1 mixture axis, Engine 2 mixture axis etc, and you just assign each lever to the desired axis. This is fairly easy. 

The biggest problem is trying to correctly convert that PS2 signal to USB so you can attach it to your PC. If that can be done with 100% functionality of the quadrant, then the rest is easy.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

#3 CaptAus

CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Greg,

Good question. Usually this is no problem as the separate Saitek Throttle Quadrant you can buy has a USB connection, so you just plug that in, it detects as a new controller, and then you just make the assignments in FSX. But since you have a PS2 connected one, that could be more troublesome. I have never had any other customer ask this, and never tried it myself. My first thought is a PS2 > USB converter plug, but these are never guaranteed and often don't work all that well, but if you can find a converter cheap enough it may be worth a try. It looks like you can get these on ebay etc for a couple dollars. If that worked, then it would be straight forward. If not, I am not sure how else you would do that. 

As for the knobs, they can simply be pulled off each lever stem and switched over no problem. As to how to program them, you just make the assignments in FSX. There are individual assignments available for Engine 1 throttle axis, Engine 2 throttle axis, Engine 1 prop axis, Engine 2 prop axis, Engine 1 mixture axis, Engine 2 mixture axis etc, and you just assign each lever to the desired axis. This is fairly easy. 

The biggest problem is trying to correctly convert that PS2 signal to USB so you can attach it to your PC. If that can be done with 100% functionality of the quadrant, then the rest is easy.

Thanks Dean.  Thought it might be something like this.  Now I know what to call the adapter I can work it from here.  Did a Google search and came up with, amongst others: http://www.clickykey...tid/0/id/124184

I might try a Dick Smith first for the PS2>USB converter.

Cheers, Greg

Greg

Intel Core i7 2600K OC 5.8GHz, Quad core, 8GB RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, SATA III, Windows 7 64bit, 2 x 22" monitors.

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
Aussie Star Flight Simulation
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#4 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,642 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

No worries Greg... As mentioned, there is just as much chance it wont work than it will work... So expect the worst I guess :P

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users