Gibbo

Forum Statistician

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

Hi Dean,

Ordered FSX Booster 2013 from you last Monday, backup disc arrived 2 days later...great service as always thanks!

What a revelation this product is!

I have, by today's standards, a low spec system, but FSX Booster has increased the sim's performance by close to 25%. I'm achieving higher fps and enjoying significantly more objects/ground detail, while seeing smoother performance overall, so thought others might be interested in my initial experience with this product.

Before I installed it, I did a flight from YMML across the Melbourne CBD and suburbs at 2000 ft in the default Maule, with the "Fair Weather" theme selected, noting the fps (an average of 16) and the degree of stutters. Then, with Booster installed and running, I replicated the flight exactly. The fps was now consistently around 20, and got even higher east of the city, before landing at the little add-on country airfield at Lilydale (YLIL), with fps topping out at between 25 & 28 on the ground there. 

I then jumped into the Carenado C337 Skymaster, which is significantly more frame-hungry, and flew to Moorabbin (YMMB) where, with the area buzzing with GA traffic, I achieved 17-20fps in the circuit and right down to the ground for the taxi to parking. Amazingly, even with frame rates at their lowest point, stuttering was minimal throughout all stages of the flight. Realism was hightened even more because Booster has enabled a higher level of detail radius to be used, eliminating that unconvincing "sparse" look in the distance.   

For someone who is seriously technically challenged like me, it's the most straight forward pathway to tweeking imaginable. With minimal imput from the user, FSX Booster 2013 simply analyses how it can wring the best possible FSX performance from your specific system.

The manual is very good too, with simple step-by-step instructions that even I could follow...took me about 5 minutes max. :D

I know this is just one person's experience on one system, but the improvement was so significant that I thought it worth sharing.

Cheers,

Gibbo

"Too much flight simming is barely enough"  

#2 Gibbo

Gibbo

Forum Statistician

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

Sorry Dean, just realised I should have posted the above in the Review section. Can you move it?

Thanks.

Gibbo

#3 VH-DLS

VH-DLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Vic.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

Hi Gibbo
good to hear you have a useful improvement in your cockpit! How is the European tour going?
:-)

Cheers,
Dennis

"There are old pilots, and bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots."

#4 Gibbo

Gibbo

Forum Statistician

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

Hi there Dennis!  Yeah, makes for a better experience for sure.

I've only just started my tour.  Set out from Invercargill, across the ditch to Hobart, then Launceston and on to Melbourne (where I've been experimenting with Booster), and later this week will head up the east coast to Cairns. From there to PNG (back to default scenery...mmm) 

and hence to South East Asia, the Middle East, Europe and the UK (the route still to be determined). Could take a while...other commitments

keep getting in the way.

Cheers,

Gibbo

#5 VH-DLS

VH-DLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

G'day Gibbo
nice to "hear your voice" again...kind of lost touch for a while (my fault).
I, too, use the flight from YMML to YBBN as a standard test. It really pushes any system because of the cluster of add-on airports in the vicinity. I would say the most severe would be an approach from the north into 34 at YMML using the ILS back-beacon. This approach involves Lilydale and Moorabbin on the southerly leg, then Avalon and Point Cook on the westerly leg, and finally Melbourne and Essendon on the final approach. Essendon remains in sight almost to touchdown, just when the low altitude is speeding up the scenery!
Enjoy your tour! Let me know if you find any interesting spots.

Cheers,
Dennis

#6 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

Gibbo

If FSX default flying in PNG bugs you, have a look at Pac Isles Sim's "PNG Bush Flying" on Dean's site.

#7 Gibbo

Gibbo

Forum Statistician

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

G'day Gibbo
nice to "hear your voice" again...kind of lost touch for a while (my fault).
I, too, use the flight from YMML to YBBN as a standard test. It really pushes any system because of the cluster of add-on airports in the vicinity. I would say the most severe would be an approach from the north into 34 at YMML using the ILS back-beacon. This approach involves Lilydale and Moorabbin on the southerly leg, then Avalon and Point Cook on the westerly leg, and finally Melbourne and Essendon on the final approach. Essendon remains in sight almost to touchdown, just when the low altitude is speeding up the scenery!
Enjoy your tour! Let me know if you find any interesting spots.

Dennis, I noticed (with considerable pleasure) on my flight from Lilydale to Moorabbin how dense the Orbx scenery can be with a bit of extra grunt coaxed out of the system. Was great to really see it for the first time. 

Will certainly keep you posted on the highlights of my grand tour. In the meantime, keep wings level!!

Gibbo

#8 Gibbo

Gibbo

Forum Statistician

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

Gibbo

If FSX default flying in PNG bugs you, have a look at Pac Isles Sim's "PNG Bush Flying" on Dean's site.

Hi Gary,

Good reminder, thanks. I've seen it on the site, but haven't gon into it too deeply, Perfect time to revisit it now. 

Cheers,

Gibbo

#9 VH-DLS

VH-DLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

Dennis, I noticed (with considerable pleasure) on my flight from Lilydale to Moorabbin how dense the Orbx scenery can be with a bit of extra grunt coaxed out of the system. Was great to really see it for the first time.  Will certainly keep you posted on the highlights of my grand tour. In the meantime, keep wings level!! Gibbo "Too much flight simming is barely enough"

Will do! What type of aircraft are you using on your tour?

Cheers,
Dennis

#10 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:30 PM

Great review thanks Gibbo (and this topic is now in the Reviews forum).

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

#11 Gibbo

Gibbo

Forum Statistician

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

Will do! What type of aircraft are you using on your tour?

Hi Dennis,

Will be in the default 737 for the major intercity flights, and then a mix of the Skymaster and Twin Otter for various side excursions. Happy days! 

Gibbo

• VH-DLS likes this

#12 Seadog

Seadog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:01 AM

Interesting comments about the product Gibbo.  My own experience was  slightly different and with a major decrease in FSX performance.  In all likelihood I set it up wrong, although I did read the manual.  I thought I would wait and have another bash when I get back from the Cook Islands in mid September.  

In the meanwhile I wanted to question this comment from Abel's review...........> I’m totally amazed with the results of the product. It doesn’t overwrite your FSX.cfg <.....

After (possibly ) setting it up wrong;  I had to replace my fsx.cfg with a back up copy to correct the mess I had made.  So it seems to me that it did change something?

Rick

banSeadog01.jpg

#13 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

Interesting comments about the product Gibbo.  My own experience was  slightly different and with a major decrease in FSX performance.  In all likelihood I set it up wrong, although I did read the manual.  I thought I would wait and have another bash when I get back from the Cook Islands in mid September.  

In the meanwhile I wanted to question this comment from Abel's review...........> I’m totally amazed with the results of the product. It doesn’t overwrite your FSX.cfg <.....

After (possibly ) setting it up wrong;  I had to replace my fsx.cfg with a back up copy to correct the mess I had made.  So it seems to me that it did change something?

Rick

Rick,

Perhaps when you are ready, I'll hook into your PC and we can go through it and give it another try?

You would be one of only perhaps 2 customers I have sold this item too that didn't see a performance increase of some kind. So we'll work on that later and see if we can't get it fixed up for you ok?

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

#14 Seadog

Seadog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

Yes for sure.   Was fairly certain it was my setup that was wrong so definitely not blaming the product.   I was more questioning the statement that the Booster does not alter the  fsx.cfg;    because it seemed to me that it did.   Not that I care about that either, if it works !

I was going to leave it till I got back from Rarotonga and then give you a yell,  but we can do it this afternoon if you are free?

Rick

banSeadog01.jpg

#15 Gibbo

Gibbo

Forum Statistician

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

Hi Rick,

Sorry to read that things went pear-shaped for you.

My son, who is also a dedicated flightsimmer, urged me to try the product because he had such a positive experience with it. I'm disappointed for you. But with Dean's offer of help I'm sure you'll sort it out. Good luck with it. 

Cheers,

Gibbo

#16 Seadog

Seadog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:08 AM

The Dean can sort almost anything !   :D

banSeadog01.jpg

#17 VH-DLS

VH-DLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hey Rick...
let me know how you do on your second try with the Booster. I have arrived at my fsx settings by experiment, but Gibbo has inspired me to try the Booster, and if you have a good result after an initially disappointing one it will seal the deal.

Cheers,
Dennis

#18 Seadog

Seadog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:37 AM

Will do Dennis,

I am away from my Flight Simm pooter until middle of September.  I thought I'd better check that the 70's style pax liner that ORBX has parked very close to my shack on Rarotonga is not leaking oil !  Also, and not by chance, it is right by the best snorkling on that island !   The impertinence of it all !

It could be that I have been spending too long doing Flight Simms this year and I need to get outside for a while?

Seadog.   (Not to be taken too seriously! )

banSeadog01.jpg

#19 VH-DLS

VH-DLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

Heh, Heh! Thanks Rick! Maybe Dean can come up with a scuba-diving Sim, so you can check the area out?

Cheers,
Dennis

#20 Seadog

Seadog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

This is a sort of update to my own experience with The Boost.

To recap, my first attempt with the product ended badly and I returned to my back-up FSX.cfg.  During the first attempt I test flew quite a complex a/c inside Middle England which has always been a difficult area for me and it made the game unusable.  I am prepared to accept that I may have set it up incorrectly.

Some other changes to my FSX  were made over the last couple of weeks.  A typical fps for me now, worldwide, would be between 35 and 50 with smooth running and the very, very,  occasional flicker and never a crash.  In England I got to a happy 27-40.   I can happily fly x 16 if I felt the need, but mostly a 'hurry up suppers ready'  would be x 4.  (Over London it would drop to 17 - 25 and you fly real time otherwise things get a bit shaky.  But it is fine in other cities such as Tokyo or Paris)

Having got things running nicely I rather foolishly, it might be said, decide to revisit FSX Boost 2013.  There is a mini review for this on another page and I followed that to the letter, particularly as most of it has been cut and pasted from the Help Manual.  I was very careful to make sure all my video card settings were put in correctly

The result was the exact same mess as last time, if not worse.  So, fair enough, I thought, I've tried and it doesn't work for me.  However it gets worse.  The mini reviewer seemed to think that this add-on does not alter your FSX.cfg.  I can categorically state that it does and the considerable changes it makes to that file remain after you've uninstalled it.  

It took me roughly 2 hours of experimenting, stopping and starting FSX, to get back to where I am fairly confident that I have undone the damage I did yesterday.

This product has had many bad reviews online and not many good ones. This is my own experience and it has to be pointed out that it seems to suit the majority of Deans customers.  The only plus for me is that it's dirt cheap.  If you are fully conversant with what goes on underground in your game then you might be fine.  If you are like me and choose to leave that side of things to those who enjoy it,  then you are in for a major headache if it goes wrong.

Rick

banSeadog01.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users