19 replies to this topic

#1 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

This week, I purchased Aerosoft's Gibraltar. The previous week, I purchased from PCA Aust the Aerosoft (Fly Tampa) Hong Kong/Kai Tak.

This week, I noticed that in one of the lists of the world's 10 most extreme airports, they were listed, as were three of my other  airports - Aerosoft's Lukla and McMurdo ice runway (Antarctica X) and LatinVfr's San Diego.  I understand that Dean is getting in Gibraltar X and that PCA Aust has the first four already on its website.

I have managed to sim fly (in a QW Avro and a Twin Otter) in and out of all except Lukla X where I have been able to fly out in a Twin Otter and Quest Kodiak but have failed all attempts to fly in (like my one-way track record with Misha's Hilltop in his North American Airstrips Vol 1).

Gibraltar and Kai Tak are challenging, with unusual approaches dependent on guidance lights in strange places - in the case of Gibraltar, on buoys anchored in the sea and in the case of Kai Tak, on the top of buildings. Add to that, in the case of Kai Tak, the chequerboard on the side of the cliff and you have real "seat of the pants"/"white knuckle" flying.

To successfully do the Kai Tak landing was also nostalgic for me, having experienced it as an aircraft passenger on multiple occasions since my early teens via an array of aircraft including Lockheed Electras, Comets (I notice that today Dean had listed the Just Flight Comet in the Featured Products on the PCA Aust website) and B747s over the years. I have not been back there since the new airport opened.

When doing the FSX Kai Tak exercise, I was using the moving aerial photo map in SimTouch Plus 2 to navigate. What a stark contrast it was to see Kai Tak in its former glory in the Aerosoft/Fly Tampa scenery and then look at it on the moving map and see what has sadly become of it.

Has anyone else flown these airports or any others in the top 10 (whatever version of that list)? What has been your experience? Are those other airports worth buying? The ones I have certainly are, especially Kai Tak.

#2 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

Gary,

I regularly fly the dangerous airports and they are indeed challenging. You can't beat the old Kai Tak airport, flying an approach in a Jumbo. It's tricky, but there are harder ones around too in my opinion.

Hilltop in the NA Airstrips package is tricky, but you have to have a suitable aircraft to get in easy, be at landing weight (not much extra fuel, full flaps, preferably a strong headwind, and then just aim to hit the touchdown point and you will have few troubles stopping in time (as long as you are not overspeed.

I find Gibraltar X simple in the sim, but I think the challenge in the real world is an airspace issue. There is restricted airspace all around, meaning you have to fly a particular challenging approach in the real world. You can execute this is your sim too of course with the appropriate charts etc.

Lukla is also good fun. Again, similar to Hilltop, it requires a good preparation to get the aircraft down safely, and favourable weather too!

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

#3 CaptAus

CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

Gary, I have done the good ol' Kai Tak and Lukla.  Have you done the Toncontin International Airport at Tegucigalpa, Hondouras?  There's some good You Tube videos on this one also.

Greg

Intel Core i7 2600K OC 5.8GHz, Quad core, 8GB RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, SATA III, Windows 7 64bit, 2 x 22" monitors.

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
Aussie Star Flight Simulation
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#4 Agent Basil

Agent Basil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

Can I say one of the highlights of my life , was in 1974 as a 14 year old, sitting in the jump seat in the cockpit of a Cathay Pacific B707, coming in for a night landing at Kai Tak.  Amazing!

#5 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

Can I say one of the highlights of my life , was in 1974 as a 14 year old, sitting in the jump seat in the cockpit of a Cathay Pacific B707, coming in for a night landing at Kai Tak.  Amazing!

That would have been an amazing experience!

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#6 VH-DLS

VH-DLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Vic.

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

Hi folks

not all of the "white knuckle" approaches are overseas airports either.
Have you tried Strahan, Tas?
A northward approach over the hilltop, and then paralleling the east ridge below it's crest is quite interesting, to say the least!

Cheers,
Dennis

"There are old pilots, and bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots."

#7 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:27 PM

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased from PCA Aust Aerosoft's Dangerous Airports 1. I tend to think that the title is a bit of a misnomer and that these three airports are more difficult, interesting or unusual than "dangerous".

Anyway, last week I came across another one in the difficult/interesting/unusual category. It is LLH Creation's Peyresourde Balestas, a French Altiport in the Pyrenees at an altitude of over 5000ft with a runway mostly sloped at 15 degrees. It was used for the final scenes of the James Bond film "Tomorrow never dies".

Only one way in - opposite direction out.  Special mountain licence needed to use this airport.

This is the approach. I tried landing in the Default AirTrike but it could not travel uphill along the runway once I touched down!:

2014-8-7_18-57-8-147_zps518fc12c.png

What you find when you get to the top, the apron:

2014-8-8_20-38-59-84_zpscdc5adda.png

Where the downwards slope of the runway begins from the apron:

2014-8-7_18-54-21-903_zpsf2c6fa14.png

#8 VH-DLS

VH-DLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Vic.

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:38 AM

Interesting one, Gary. Thanks for the pics. It looks worth trying out.

Cheers,
Dennis

"There are old pilots, and bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots."

#9 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:16 PM

Since Christmas, I have been adding to my airports to try and get the full list of the most extreme/dangerous airports.

The most difficult I have tried is Paro (in the Kingdom of Bhutan in the Himalayas) because Airbus A319 are flown there and only nine pilots are authorised to fly them in and out of there. The easier landing is Rwy 33 which involves flying over and between hills for a version of a straight-in landing. The more difficult is the Rwy15 landing which involves overflying the airport and then flying in two valleys around a hill before a sharp turn to line up with the runway.

It is interesting to compare a real life approach and landing with one in a flight sim.

I have Thai Creations Paro airport. A word of warning with it. I otherwise have FSX Default scenery for the area and found some elevations problems. The Thai Creations instructions warn of this and suggest downloading free mesh for the area from Avsim and installing it in the airport's scenery. After I did that, everything was fine.

Here is what I see:

2015-1-22_22-3-25-796_zps4aca638f.png

2015-1-22_21-53-10-980_zpsde118d7f.png

I have done the easier Rwy 33 approach and landing in an Aerosoft Twin Otter and QW Avro 85 (both from PCA Aust). I have not tried the much harder Rwy 15 exercise in anything bigger than the Twin Otter. For fairly obvious reasons, I have kept to Rwy 15 for take offs.

For real life Rwy 15 approaches and landings, see:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsZqN-uEgQU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmGy7qcDwQU

To see it in an up-market home simulator using the Rwy 15 approach and landing in the Thai Creations Paro scenery, see:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLFbNcqG_ng

To see a less sophisticated simulator and scenery but a more detailed explanation of how to fly the approach in a flight sim, see:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jnPtYmXPSM

For the real life less difficult Rwy 33 approaches, see:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwMMS_l1dYY

www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7_KytXETT0

Gary

#10 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:46 AM

As a supplement to my previous post, part of the instruction for a Rwy 15 approach and landing is to line up with Mr Smith's house on the ridge after coming out of the final valley and before turning to line up with the runway.

If you are interested in what is Mr Smith's house, it is shown in two of the photos in an article by a Danish pilot who did some flying with Druk Air (Royal Bhutan Airlines) - see this link: http://www.pilots.dk...d=7597&zoneid=1

What I have not been able to discover is who or was Mr Smith?

Does anyone have an answer for me?

Gary

#11 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:49 PM

These two links show externally the use made of Mr Smith's house in a Rwy 15 approach and landing at Paro:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=77awaQQNQ1A

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSRjPezTMOc

Gary

#12 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:20 PM

I wonder if this has anything to do with it? http://www.mrandmrss...ma-by-como-paro

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#13 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:41 AM

Continuing the Paro saga, today AirDailyX News has a video headed "FSDG Paro Teaser - The Most Dangerous Airport in the World".

The video can also be found on YouTube at www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD0O4b21-14

I have at least six airports developed by FSDG, all published by Aerosoft. I am about to buy their most recent product, Nuuk Greenland.

The AirDailyX News posting and the separate YouTube comments appear to indicate that this is a forthcoming FSDG product. Prompted by my obvious interest in Paro, I went to the FSDG website and Facebook page but could not find any mention of it there. Does anyone know anything about this?

If what appears in the video is any reflection of the product (very little of the airport is shown), I think I will stick with my Thai Creations Paro which I am very satisfied with (having been alerted, before buying, to the elevation problems and the need to fix them by installing free mesh for the area, such as that in the Avsim Library).

Gary

#14 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:18 AM

Once again on Paro, a post this morning on the Avsim Forum alerted me to another two YouTube videos.

The first is a real life Airbus approach and landing (what is the can the captain drinks from just before the final approach (at the 7:54 mark in the video)? - what a missed opportunity for a "product placement"!):

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xzcwdYJ1ibE

The second is a flight sim one using the PMDG 737 and Thai Creations' Paro:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=WxYNCFNvzOk

Gary

#15 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:49 PM

Further to my post #13 in relation to Paro, FSDG has now posted on Facebook screenshots of its forthcoming Paro product - see http://www.facebook....evelopmentgroup

Consistent with what I said about the video and judging by the screenshots, I think that I will be sticking with my Thai Creations version.

Gary

#16 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:08 PM

Further to my post #15, AirDailyX has today alerted me to further screenshots of FSDG's forthcoming Paro being available on the developer's Facebook page at https://www.facebook...87204031&type=3

They seem to me to be an improved picture of the product beyond those screenshots previously available, to the extent that I am starting to waiver about my comments in the last paragraph of post #13.

Gary

#17 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:07 AM

FSDG's Paro has now been released.

Consistent with what happened with its Nuuk product, Paro is currently available only directly from the developer.

What happened with Nuuk was that a few weeks later, Nuuk also became available under the Aerosoft banner and PCA Aust stocked it.

Hopefully, a similar course will be adopted with Paro.

Although I have all of the previous FSDG payware products (variously published by Aerosoft and directly by FSDG) except one (one published by Aerosoft, which PCA Aust does not have), I am still uncertain whether I will buy FSDG's Paro as a replacement for Thai Creation's Paro. Screenshots of the Thai Creation product appear in the posts above.

Gary

#18 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:01 PM

Further to post #17, I notice that FSDG's Paro's availability has now extended beyond the developer's website to the retail store level under the banner of an Aerosoft product, much like what happened in the case of Nuuk and which led me to buy that product when PCA Aust stocked it.

Gary

#19 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:03 AM

Further to my post #18, this morning I saw that the US store of PCA now has FSDG's Paro as an Aerosoft product.

Gary

#20 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:05 PM

FSDG's Paro arrived at PCA Aust today - see http://www.pcaviator...ge=0&featured=Y

Allowing for currency conversions, at AUD$22.75 it is the cheapest price for this product I have seen anywhere. See the illustration of this price comparison at http://www.avsim.com...x/#entry3282873

Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users