#1 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,644 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

Hi Forumites,

Yesterday I came across an article I wrote on file defragmentation which I think will be of good use, or of interest, to anyone using standard hard drives on their PCs and laptops.

The article addresses why fragmentation occurs, how it lowers your drive performance and causes longer load times of data, and ways to fix it.

Take a look! Comments most welcome.

Attached File  Defragmentation-Tutorial.pdf   774.84KB   416 downloads

And if you wish to apply your new knowledge and use Ultimate Defrag to do this, you can find that product here:

http://www.pcaviator...roductid=451101

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

#2 m0dpsych

m0dpsych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

Hi Dean,

Thanks for posting this article. I have version for of Ultimate Defrag and had no idea on how to set it (just clicked start and away I went) I followed the first sequence on how to defrag FSX and it worked really well. Load time has increased quite considerably. I would Highly recommend this product. (Windows defrag isn't even a close 2nd).  ;)  ;)

Gary

I'm from the Government and I'm here to help!!!!

#3 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

Do you mean Load Time has decreased?

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#4 m0dpsych

m0dpsych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:39 AM

Oops!!! I am glad you knew what I meant, yes load time has decreased. Had a grey seniors moment!!!!  :D

G

I'm from the Government and I'm here to help!!!!

#5 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

I bought this product last year but initially did not use it (or any other defrag program on my computer) although my wife has always used defrag programs on our other computers.

I changed my stance early this year when Dean was helping me out with a problem with FSX on my previous computer and was horrified to find that it was about 16% fragmented.

I initially tried Ultimate Defrag to attend to that percentage but found that it was taking a long time. Therefore, I tried Auslogics Defrag to do a first sweep which it did fairly quickly and then I did a second sweep with Ultimate Defrag to tidy up.

I have continued with that two step approach. It seems to work well. My fragmentation now never seems to exceed 1% (usually after new add-ons have been installed). After the Auslogics sweep, Auslogics says the degree of fragmentation is 0%. However, when I then start Ultimate Defrag, fragmentation is diagramatically shown and is numerically represented at about 0.1% or 0.2% but after the Ultimate Defrag sweep ends up being visually and numberically shown as 0%. That would seem to indicate that Ultimate Defrag gets down to the nitty-gritty and picks up fragments that other programs may not.

Gary

#6 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:09 PM

Gary,

Its more about the type of defrag you do. Auslogic probably does a fairly "shallow" defrag, and hence it can do it much quicker. You might then be backing up with UD4 with a similar defrag method that is complimentary. Regardless of which defragger you use, how "fast" or "slow" they are is probably irrelevant as they should all be roughly the same speed if you are performing a similar style defrag. If you use UD4 in consolidate mode for example, this is one of the deeper defrag methods that will deliver best results and greatly reduce seek times (and hence have the effect of speeding up file read/writes) but because it has to move a lot more files around to achieve this, it means its one of the slowest too. 

Ideally, you would run consolidate mode all the time, but unless you have it set up as a scheduled task to run at least every 2-3 days, it will take an age to defrag a badly fragmented drive using this method. Where UD4 excels is that it offers methods of defragmentation and defrag logic that most others do not. I.e. the ability to place individual files or folders on parts of the disk platter for best performance (or for archiving), and the actual disc display in UD4 allows you to see where files are actually located on your hard disk, something which only UD4 offers (as far as I know).

It is also flexible for both regular users (using the Auto mode) or for Power users who know what is going on and how to set things up so the defrag delivers the absolute best results based on your file access needs. It is really quite interesting how it all works, and I really only scratched the surface in that article (well, maybe I peeled a couple layers off the knowledge onion anyway).

Ultimate Defrag 4 available here > http://www.pcaviator...01&cat=0&page=1

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#7 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

Dean

I had read your article on UD4 and you had also personally showed me the many options available to use UD4 but I tend to forget the detail and, much like I do with scenery settings, I tend to take the easy way out and opt for the lowest common denominator approach.

Like scenery settings, UD4 obviously has many useful options which those more technically proficient than me can easily exploit and use to the advantage of their computer and fsx. I know my limitations!

All I know is that my two step approach results in a 0% fragmentation outcome after I use UD4, an outcome which is the ideal goal.

#8 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

Dean

I had read your article on UD4 and you had also personally showed me the many options available to use UD4 but I tend to forget the detail and, much like I do with scenery settings, I tend to take the easy way out and opt for the lowest common denominator approach.

Like scenery settings, UD4 obviously has many useful options which those more technically proficient than me can easily exploit and use to the advantage of their computer and fsx. I know my limitations!

All I know is that my two step approach results in a 0% fragmentation outcome after I use UD4, an outcome which is the ideal goal.

Gary,

Yes a 0% fragmentation score is the goal. The "ideal" goal however would be to have yout FSX files, or the files you use the most located on the outer sectors of the hard drive, where the drive spins fast, and where read speeds are the fastest, and to combine that scenario with a 0% fragmentation score. That is the ideal scenario. But thats a type of power-user scenario. For most users, setting Auto will do the trick :)

Obviously with the proliferation of SSDs these days, defragging becomes less important to some degree, but until they make 2TB or 4TB SSD drives as affordable as the current spinning disk types, there will always be a need for a good defragger!

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#9 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

Looks like I have achieved the ideal goal! My Drive: E contains only  FSX files. Drives: C and D contain the OS and other files respectively.

#10 Darryl P

Darryl P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

Remember don’t defrag a SSD you will kill it sooner.

http://www.ausvag.net/

i7 4770k@3.9, ASUS Z87, 16gig G-skill 2400Mhz, GB 660Ti 2GB, Corsair H90 cooler,Win 7 x64, 120Gb SSD x 2, 240 SSD, 2TB + 1TB backup, 24"LCD + 24" Led LCD, Saitek panels, Saitek Pro Flight yoke and more Saitek gear.

#11 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

Looks like I have achieved the ideal goal! My Drive: E contains only  FSX files. Drives: C and D contain the OS and other files respectively.

Indeed you have then!

Just remember though that if you have a large hard disk that is partitioned, only one of the partitions will be on the outer (faster) tracks of the drive.

If they are all separate hard drives, then no issue :)

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#12 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

Remember don’t defrag a SSD you will kill it sooner.

I wonder if this still applies to the newer breeds of SSD. I note that the expected lifetimes of the newer SSDs are FAR superior to the first generation ones... Might have to read up on this, out of interest.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#13 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

In may case, Drive: C with the OS is a SSD. The other two are hard-drives. There are no partitions ie FSX on a hard-drive of its own.

#14 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:59 PM

In may case, Drive: C with the OS is a SSD. The other two are hard-drives. There are no partitions ie FSX on a hard-drive of its own.

You are set then! :)

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users