6 replies to this topic

#1 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

Some weeks ago, I saw Polish Airports Vols 1 and 2 on the PCA Aust website. They whetted my appetite enough to go to the website of the developer, Drzewiecki Design.

On that website, they also mention a Vol 3 which was produced in August 2012 (which is not on the PCA Aust website).

The main point of this post concerns Vols 1 and 2. On the PCA Aust website, both downloads are shown as v2.0 but the Vol 1 blurb says that an update to v2.2 is available. However, on the DD website Vol 1 is said to be v3.2 released in August 2013 and Vol 2 to be v.3.1 updated in May 2012.

Is the blurb on PCA Aust not up to date in its details and each download is, in fact, the latest one shown on the DD website or is the download an earlier version?

#2 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,644 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:42 PM

Hi Gary,

I am having the boss check our versions, and update them if they are old, so this is being looked at :)

Thanks for the heads up.

Dean

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

#3 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

Dean

Thanks for that.

Last night prior to your response post, I had checked out four of the eight or so retail sites listed on the DD website as sellers of DD products (as PCA Aust and PCA are not shown in that list, perhaps you should get listed there).

One of those sites only sells Vol 1 of the three volumes of the Polish airports.

The others sell all of them. In some cases the version number is given. In others, the release date is given.

In two cases, the version number differed by one or two decimal points from what is shown on the DD website eg showing v3.0 instead of v3.2 for Vol 1 and v3.0 instead of v3.1 for Vol 2.

Overall, it seemed to me that what they are selling are the same versions as or very close to the current versions shown on the DD website.

That got me to wonder what are the mechanics of selling by download. Does the link provided by the retailer connect to a central computer of the developer/publisher so that the most up-to-date version is always the one downloaded or is the retailer's download link to an electronic version supplied at an earlier point in time from the developer/publisher to the retailer, in which case it becomes dated if subsequent changes to the products are not obtained by the retailer and added to that electronic copy? The fact that, for example, SPs are not included in Orbx/FTX downloads and have to be added separately after purchase fueled my uncertainty

If it is the first of those possibilities, then that should indicate that what is out of date is the blurb on the PCA Aust and PCA websites but not what is obtained via the download link.

How does the download system work?

Consistent with what I said in my email of 1 October when I first raised this issue, unless something is listed on the PCA Aust website before next Tuesday  which changes my priority/preference (like what happened when the FSDT products came along), I would like to get the Polish airports as part of my purchase quota next week if things can be sorted out.

Gary

#4 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:38 PM

Gary,

In most all cases, we keep all the software on our own local file servers, so the developer has to send us the latest files when they become available. We then upload them to our own servers, and then update the product pages. In this case however, it seems we have the latest files for Polish airports, but missed updated the version numbers on the page text. To prevent the issue occurring again, I've removed the version information, and customers can assume that they will get the very latest version of the package as it is released (which is most often the case).

I am hoping to add Volume 3 tomorrow. Just checking on the availability of the file on the server.

Hope that answers your questions.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#5 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:50 PM

In recent months, there has been frequent discussion in the Product Update section of the Forum about what versions of particular products (usually airports) are available on PCA Aust or available at all.

At times, there appears to have been some confusion on the question.

When I want a particular product and it is not stocked by PCA Aust, I have to buy it elsewhere. Some of those stores send me an email when there is an updated version, patch etc available.

Here, we try and get that message out via the Product Update section. However, that is not and does not profess to be a complete answer.

I then thought that the answer to the currency of a particular product or version of it might be obtainable from the product page.

Because many of my airports are Aerosoft ones purchased from PCA Aust, I did a random check of the Aerosoft download products on the PCA Aust website but only one of those I looked at specifically mentioned the particular version.

How does someone find out what version is available for download before downloading and installing it?

Would it be possible to show the version number as part of the information on the product page/blurb?

Acknowledging that it might be a big task to retrospectively do that for all existing listed products, would it be possible to at least do it for newly listed products when they are first listed and then update that detail when needed?

#6 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:59 PM

Gary,

This is something that has to be done manually, and it is a huge task... Developers are constantly updating their products and its almost a full-time job lately just to keep on top of managing all the files and updates and replacing files on servers etc etc. This will be something tricky to achieve with our limited staff resources... Although in general we are getting better at getting the latest updates online on our servers faster these days...

I would suggest for the present time that if you want to update a product, just to quiz me on the version we have before downloading and I can let you know if our current file on the server is up to date.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#7 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:25 AM

In recent weeks, in the Product Update Announcements segment of the Forum, I have mentioned updates to Aerosoft's Mega Airport Oslo and Daytona Beach Intl and Flysimware's Mitsubishi MU-2B-60 and Cessna 441 Conquest II.

There is no indication on the PCA Aust website as to which versions of those are currently available for download although in the Product Update Announcements segment an indication has been given for some of them. That involves a potential purchaser having to undertake two steps to find out.

Taking the Mitsubishi as an example, last night I looked at that product listing on a number of retail sites. The only two I found where the product page told me the version number (in both cases it was the current/updated one) were in the US, one of which was the US store of PCA. One English site did not have the version on its product page but details of it was given in its Upates/Patches etc list.

Of those four products mentioned in my first paragraph, the US store of PCA provides on the relevant product page the version details for all except Daytona.

Again taking the Mitsubishi as an example, it seems to me that the content of the product page on the Aust and US stores of PCA is the same except for the price, the presence of the version number and the location of the details of product number, file size, system requirements etc.

It seems to me that the US store may be progressively and selectively placing the version number on its product pages. If so, could not the version number on the US page be added to the Australian page? I had understood from various replies to Product Update Announcements, What's in the Pipeline? etc posts that the uploading of products to the server for downloading by customers of PCA Aust was done at the US end. Have I misunderstood that?

Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users