VH-DLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Vic.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

Greetings to all...

It won't be long before the 1st anniversary of the inception of these forums comes around.  To mark the occasion, Gary (Gartro), Greg (CaptAus) and myself (VH-DLS) have decided to get together for lunch at the Aero Bar & Bistro (on Moorabbin Airfield, Melbourne) at noon on Wed 12th Mar.

We wish to extend an invitation to any forum member to join us - if we have enough members attending, we can even book a private room.  The bar has fine views of the airfield, and there is an Aviation Historical Museum and, of course, the Pilot Shop to check out.  For those with deep pockets, perhaps a charter flight to sight-see the area might be in order.   

Anybody who is interested please post an answer here so that we can get a head count.  If you would like to ask any questions before you decide, you are welcome to PM me.

Please note that this lunch is an informal occasion... there will be no tickets issued, or anything of the like.  Everybody pays their own way, and spends as much or as little as they wish.

I hope to see you there...

:)

Cheers,
Dennis

"There are old pilots, and bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots."

#2 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

Here is the venue as FTX/Orbx's "Bob" and Moorabbin see it:

2014-1-25_20-15-32-477_zps63f4d8cf.png

#3 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

Nice work Gents. Wish I could make it myself! I might try convince my younger brother to get along to it, although he may be working that day over Essendon way.

Also, I'll be sending down some door prizes for the event, so if you want a chance at winning some free goodies, you have to get along to Moorabbin on the 12th March!

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

#4 VH-DLS

VH-DLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:29 AM

Thanks for your generosity Dean.  :)

There you go folks... get in and get your prize!!!

Cheers,
Dennis

#5 CaptAus

CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Hi All

The Aero Bar & Bistro has been booked for three but I would love to be able to extend that number.  Anyone else in the Melbourne area like to join us?

Greg

Intel Core i7 2600K OC 5.8GHz, Quad core, 8GB RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, SATA III, Windows 7 64bit, 2 x 22" monitors.

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
Aussie Star Flight Simulation
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#6 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

Fine gentleman, I need to send down the door prizes for this event. Who would like to take delivery of them and take them along to the event?

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

#7 Markoz

Markoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBallarat, Victoria

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

I'm interested in going, but not in being responsible for taking the door prizes (sorry Dean). So please count me in. :)

Mark

Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.5GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Nvidia 4GB GTX770 OC | Corsair H80i Liquid Cooling | 24" LCD Monitor | 2TB HDD, 2 x 1TB HDD | Windows 7 Professional 64bit & Window 8.1 Pro 64bit | Flight Simultor X Deluxe & Acceleration

#8 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

Greg's the man for the door prizes.

He's the only one of the three of us who has four monitors and, also, his title is "Capt". He clearly outranks Den and me!

#9 VH-DLS

VH-DLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

Hi Markoz

welcome to the gathering!  If you can confirm your attendance, it would help Greg... he is organizing the bookings.  The details are:

Venue - The Aero Bar and Bistro, Moorabbin Airport

Date -    12th March

Time -    12 noon until the last man standing.  

Hope you can make it.     :)

Cheers,
Dennis

#10 VH-DLS

VH-DLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

Any others who are thinking of attending?

It is the final day of Feb and the time is running out for bookings.  If you are going to be there, please send an RSVP by 7th March, to give Greg time to arrange room for you.  There is nothing to stop you from just turning up, of course, but you may not be able to sit with us, and you will definitely miss out on the door prizes.  

Cheers,
Dennis

#11 freddy

freddy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

Wednesday 12th March is in the middle of the working week.  I'll be at work, and, as such, will be unable to attend.  :(

That's a pity because, as a Melbournian, flight sim "events" like this one are pretty rare in this part of the world and it would have been great to come along and "talk shop" with people who have the same interest. It is difficult to "talk shop" with work colleagues and other people because many of them just can't conceive why someone would want to spend countless hours in front of a PC planning flights and taking to the skies in a simulated aircraft. An opportunity like this to "talk shop" with people of the same interest would be fun, not to mention meeting some people who are PC Aviator customers (I've been a long-time PC Aviator customer since the first days that it opened - I used to drive to PC Aviator, walk in, chat, and purchase, when it was here in Victoria - first in Balaclava Rd, Caulfield, and then in Highett Rd, Highett. Good memories).

Enjoy the lunch people.

(If I manage to get the day off work, I may just "turn up".)

#12 CaptAus

CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

Hi freddy

Thanks for your post.  It is a shame you won't be able to attend this event.  However, given the interest that is starting to be generated regarding Melbournian simmers getting together, I'm thinking that, with enough interest, we may be able to schedule another "shop talk" event on a weekend at some time in the future.

I know what you mean about colleagues at work.  People who know me well now understand my passion for the hobby. Some are now even asking "Where are you flying to this weekend?" Others just look at me blankly and I can see on their faces "Why the hell . . .".  I'm not backwards in coming forward in promoting the hobby, regardless of what people think.

Greg (CaptAus)

Intel Core i7 2600K OC 5.8GHz, Quad core, 8GB RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, SATA III, Windows 7 64bit, 2 x 22" monitors.

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#13 CaptAus

CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

Greg's the man for the door prizes.

He's the only one of the three of us who has four monitors and, also, his title is "Capt". He clearly outranks Den and me!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
CaptAus

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#14 VH-DLS

VH-DLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:58 AM

Wednesday 12th March is in the middle of the working week.  I'll be at work, and, as such, will be unable to attend.  :(

That's a pity because, as a Melbournian, flight sim "events" like this one are pretty rare in this part of the world and it would have been great to come along and "talk shop" with people who have the same interest. It is difficult to "talk shop" with work colleagues and other people because many of them just can't conceive why someone would want to spend countless hours in front of a PC planning flights and taking to the skies in a simulated aircraft. An opportunity like this to "talk shop" with people of the same interest would be fun, not to mention meeting some people who are PC Aviator customers (I've been a long-time PC Aviator customer since the first days that it opened - I used to drive to PC Aviator, walk in, chat, and purchase, when it was here in Victoria - first in Balaclava Rd, Caulfield, and then in Highett Rd, Highett. Good memories).

Enjoy the lunch people.

(If I manage to get the day off work, I may just "turn up".)

Thank you for your post, Freddy, and welcome.  Your point about the middle of the week being a difficult time is well taken, and , as Greg said, I'm sure that a follow-up gathering on a week-end will eventuate.  

I, also, have been the target of blank looks (or worse) from work colleagues.  I did have one notable success, however.  I had been bending my work-mate's ear about flight simming, and he challenged me to show him what the hoopla was all about.  Accordingly, I turned up at work with computer system in tow, and showed him.  He was well and truly hooked by the time he learned the knack of it, to the extent that, when "interrupted" by a customer, he turned to her with an aggrieved look on his face and said "Madam, you made me crash my plane!"

It seems to me that a lot of the flu is getting around at the moment.  Maybe you will catch a nasty bug just in time for the 12th!  I hope you will be able to turn up!!

;)

Cheers,
Dennis

#15 freddy

freddy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

Yes, I have one or two friends who ask "Where are you flying this weekend?", but most just give that blank look that you folks describe.

The flu huh?  Hmmm.  *cough* *cough*.

Here's hoping that a weekend event (or events) for Melbournians can get organised.

Once again, enjoy the lunch people ...

#16 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

Freddy

When were we first organising this function, we were looking to have it on the actual first anniversary, Saturday 15 March (the Ides of March)

However, trying to balance some organisational constraints (including acknowledging that a weekday function would probably be difficult for people in full employment to attend), we ended up settling on the Wednesday date. We will try and ensure that the second anniversary function is held on a weekend to give others the chance to attend.

Gary

#17 Markoz

Markoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

Fortunately, any day is fine by me because I'm a pensioner! :D

Mark

Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.5GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Nvidia 4GB GTX770 OC | Corsair H80i Liquid Cooling | 24" LCD Monitor | 2TB HDD, 2 x 1TB HDD | Windows 7 Professional 64bit & Window 8.1 Pro 64bit | Flight Simultor X Deluxe & Acceleration

#18 freddy

freddy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:57 PM

When were we first organising this function, we were looking to have it on the actual first anniversary, Saturday 15 March (the Ides of March)

Ahh.  Of course.  I see.  Yes, that does make sense.  :)

#19 Markoz

Markoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:10 AM

Are there going to be any women there? My wife would like to come along too, but she doesn't want to be the only one.

Mark

#20 CaptAus

CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

Seems like only us blokes at the moment.

Greg

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users