Photo

MegaSceneryEarth Pictorial Flight - Rogers Field (O05) > Gansner Field (2O1) - California, USA

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

Here we have just a short trip from Rogers Field to Gansner Field in California. From Rogers, fly heading 129 for just under 25 Nautical Miles to reach Gansner. The approach to Gansner is a highlight of the flight, but there is a lot to see along the way, even though the destination is just a stone's throw away (well, a big stone throw anyway).

Add-ons used in this pictorial flight:

Scenery: MegaSceneryEarth 2.0 Northern California
Aircraft: General Aviation Collection C337H Skymaster
Terrain Mesh: FSGlobal Ultimate: The Americas

=============================================================================================================================

Departing Rogers Field and following the western edge of Lake Almanor. Looks like a good spot for fishing... I wonder what type of fish they catch here? Bass? 
2014-2-15_23-11-56-547.jpg

No matter how many times you fly over mountains, it is always stunning... especially with photoreal scenery. You will nev er see the same thing twice! Here we are near the town of Caribou, and at this altitude, we can already see Gansner in the clearing out in the far distance.
2014-2-15_23-13-57-690.jpg

The Carenado C337H is great for this type of flying. It climbs fast, and cruises along at a nice 140 knots and can safely get in and out of smaller fields.
2014-2-15_23-15-27-563.jpg

Snake Lake (not visible) is out to our right. This is the view on approach to the town of Quincy which is home to Gansner Field. The airport is actually hidden from view on approach for the most part by a hill on the North side of the field.
2014-2-15_23-16-8-79.jpg

A junction of roads in the valley. The road heading north into the clearing leads to the town of Greenville... Indian Falls is hidden away down there as well. The other branch of the highway leads to Quincy and our destination for this quick flight. I think the river running alongside the roads below is Feather River? Please correct me if I am wrong.
2014-2-15_23-17-29-729.jpg

A beautiful approach to the airport. Look to the right right point of the clearing ahead. This is where the airport lies, hidden by the hills just in front of it. We will follow the highway on our left for a bit until we spot the runway and make visual turns to final as needed.
2014-2-15_23-17-46-985.jpg

There's the eastern half of town down there... called East Quincy in fact. The runway is still pretty much hidden behind the hills to our 2-3 o'clock position. Keep altitude up to avoid the hills below.
2014-2-15_23-19-3-223.jpg

After making a base turn and spotting the runway, I turned to final with plenty of distance to lose altitude. That's the runway dead ahead in the distance where the flat land narrows. You can just see the approach lights shining. This area is naturally beautiful and this approach was not only fun, but a visual feast as well. Add a heavy crosswind in, and it would no doubt be quite a challenge.
2014-2-15_23-21-40-450.jpg

And we are safely down. One of the most interesting approaches so far. I've logged this airport as a place to come back to in the near future.
2014-2-15_23-23-26-248.jpg

If you have a spare 30 minutes, you can fly this route easily in that time frame. It is well worth it!

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users