16 replies to this topic

#1 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:00 AM

Last year, via a link on a flight sim forum, I saw a video of an American flight simmer who bought a B737 cockpit (from a plane due to be broken up) to adapt for fight simulation in his garage.

I have seen pictures of other flight simmers who have rigs more enhanced than those which the vast majority of us have.

In the past few days on a European retail flight sim site, I have noticed that you can buy for flight simming a specially manufactured USB plug and play B737NG Overhead module for about Euros 6,300 and a Main Instrument Panel for about Euros 7,300.

In the course of searching a different topic at the weekend, I came across a fellow's website about him building a flight simulator using B737 parts. He is a lot closer to home - Hobart, Tasmania. His explanations and pictures are interesting. He buys and sell various Boeing cockpit parts.

His website is w.w.w.Flaps2approach.com

I wonder whether he is a member of this Forum or a customer of PCA Aust when it comes to software.

Does anyone know anyone else doing this type of thing in Australia. It seems the type of thing which should be right up CaptAus' alley!

#2 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

Administrator, PC Aviator Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

Not sure if he is a forum member, but I am pretty sure the person in question has written a product review on our store site in the past, so that answers half your questions :)

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
We ship worldwide with FAST dispatch!
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
[Facebook] [Twitter] [Blog] [Scoop.it] [YouTube] [Google+]

#3 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

The video mentioned in the first paragraph of my post of 1 April (above) has not been uploaded to this Forum today by Antonvs in his post "Link to Amazing B737-200 home build sim...."

#4 CaptAus

CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

Bit slow in responding to this post, but a recently joined Aussie Star member has a 1:1 scale 737 cockpit in his garage.  He would be happy to invite members to undertake flights.  He lives in Kilmore.

Greg

G1cockpit_zpsa76916ff.jpg

Intel Core i7 2600K OC 5.8GHz, Quad core, 8GB RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, SATA III, Windows 7 64bit, 2 x 22" monitors.

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
Aussie Star Flight Simulation
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#5 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:20 PM

Sounds like, hand in hand with a Kilmore pub lunch, it would be a good excursion for at least the "12 March Clan"!

#6 CaptAus

CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

I will get in touch with him and see what he thinks about an excursion day.  Stay tuned.

Greg

Intel Core i7 2600K OC 5.8GHz, Quad core, 8GB RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, SATA III, Windows 7 64bit, 2 x 22" monitors.

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#7 CaptAus

CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:42 PM

Hi all

I've been in touch with Greg L, the owner of the 737 cockpit. He has recently come out of hospital from a knee reconstruction.  He is also retiring from the army in June. He is willing to host an excursion but not for three weeks or so as he has some work to do on it. He will let me know when it is back up and running.

Greg 

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#8 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:50 PM

Have a look at the link below for the Today Tonight video feature  (there is a West Australian newspaper article also about it) on an upmarket rig in Perth:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=kHyWT8I6oGI

#9 CaptAus

CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

DIY cockpit update

Hi all.  During the Christmas break I finally got around to constructing my new desktop rig.  Nowhere near what Greg L in Kilmore has constructed, but it sure makes flying the heavies a whole lot easier.  Here's some pics of its development.

IMG_0235_zps61479a92.jpg

IMG_0266_zps5e7292b5.jpg

IMG_0279_zps7b255816.jpg

IMG_0278_zps7a29ff74.jpg

• Dean (PC Aviator) likes this

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#10 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:55 PM

Greg,

Great work! I must admit, that being a power tool nerd, that impact driver caught my eye... until I got to the last picture of course, then it was flight sim all the way :) Looking great and that MDF panel face looks very "metal-like" with the paint job. Awesome! Please post more pictures as you go along.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

#11 glenfer

glenfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationLeeton, NSW Australia

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:28 PM

Hi Greg (Capt Aus)

Having decided to take on flight simulation since retirement I have chosen to go for X-Plane 10 rather than FSX although I do have official versions of FS2002, FS2004 and FSX.

What I am interested in is eventually setting up a system like yours including a few hands on instruments, but more particularly showing your area on flight (your top screen) and also having a dedicated screen just for the additional instruments for the plane you are flying at that time.

Having viewed many videos on what/how to setup a flight simulation cockpit many simmers show their plane's cockpit (instruments) as part of the view outside the cockpit which at times leads to a restricted forward visual display.

How are or were you able to split both from the single screen?

If you are able provide a response and it may be quite lengthy feel free to send a PM.  Alternativly, if you are willing, a private conversation could be arranged.

Great setup in what you have setup so far.

Glenn 

#12 CaptAus

CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:09 PM

Greg,

Great work! I must admit, that being a power tool nerd, that impact driver caught my eye... until I got to the last picture of course, then it was flight sim all the way :) Looking great and that MDF panel face looks very "metal-like" with the paint job. Awesome! Please post more pictures as you go along.

I took the MCP panel to a local paint dealer who matched the color pretty well and made up spray cans for me.  Pretty awful stuff to use but the end result is worth it.  My challenge at the moment is to use a registered version of FSUIPC to get the yoke, pedals, throttles and MCP/EFIS to work.

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#13 CaptAus

CaptAus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:10 PM

Hi Greg (Capt Aus)

Having decided to take on flight simulation since retirement I have chosen to go for X-Plane 10 rather than FSX although I do have official versions of FS2002, FS2004 and FSX.

What I am interested in is eventually setting up a system like yours including a few hands on instruments, but more particularly showing your area on flight (your top screen) and also having a dedicated screen just for the additional instruments for the plane you are flying at that time.

Having viewed many videos on what/how to setup a flight simulation cockpit many simmers show their plane's cockpit (instruments) as part of the view outside the cockpit which at times leads to a restricted forward visual display.

How are or were you able to split both from the single screen?

If you are able provide a response and it may be quite lengthy feel free to send a PM.  Alternativly, if you are willing, a private conversation could be arranged.

Great setup in what you have setup so far.

Glenn 

Hi Glenn,  Only too happy to help. I will PM you to make further contact arrangements.

Greg Whiley (CaptAus)
Founder
www.aussiestarhops.com
admin@aussiestarhops.com

#14 glenfer

glenfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationLeeton, NSW Australia

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:43 PM

Greg,

Thank you.  PM has now been read.

Glenn

#15 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:26 PM

In my post yesterday in Extreme Airports flying in the Microsoft Flight Simulation X section of the Forum, I illustrated a Paro approach and landing by saying:

To see it in an up-market home simulator using the Rwy 15 approach and landing in the Thai Creations Paro scenery, see:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLFbNcqG_ng

When viewing the link, the only query in my mind was why the flap indicator did not appear to be working.

I now know the answer:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=23yLJBkf0K4

My immediate reaction to the "why" answer video was a bit like two experiences I had. One was visiting a Hollywood movie set and seeing that what I thought was reality was, in fact. merely a veneer. My second was when one of my sons, who is a film director, showed me a video of how one of his films was made.

My second and quick reaction to the above links was one of congratulations to the builder/owner of the simulator for the visually persuasive job he has done on a limited budget - something like a flight sim version of the mirage of the oasis in the desert!

Have a look at the first link and see what your first impressions are and then have a look at the second link and see how it was achieved.

And I thought that it was only the Australians who have a reputation for improvisation......

Gary

#16 Gartro

Gartro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:57 PM

Have a look at this for a great sim: https://www.youtube....h?v=f9qlFy_6C3Y

I was alerted to this by a post on the Avsim Forum today.

Gary

• Dean (PC Aviator) likes this

#17 Dean (PC Aviator)

Dean (PC Aviator)

• Administrators
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:55 AM

Nice find.. A full length documentary about a flight sim build. Queued to watch as soon as I get time.

pcaemailsmall.jpg

Dean Bielanowski

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users